DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How many runs can be put on ring and pinion gears?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many runs can be put on ring and pinion gears?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
All 3 cars had fresh gears this year...

Blue car (crashed) 4.70s and 80s... had at least 300 plus

Yellow car had at least 250 or more...4.40s and 50s

Red car has roughly 275 and is 4.60s and 70s

Just curious…is the car that was crashed repairable?

No sir chassis is twisted/kinked/bent in many places...

Barry that's alot of runs!
I got one with your name on it...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
All 3 cars had fresh gears this year...

Blue car (crashed) 4.70s and 80s... had at least 300 plus

Yellow car had at least 250 or more...4.40s and 50s

Red car has roughly 275 and is 4.60s and 70s

Just curious…is the car that was crashed repairable?

No sir chassis is twisted/kinked/bent in many places...

Barry that's alot of runs!
I got one with your name on it...

44 spline Strange , replacing spools too... 3 years on wheelie bars, they broke (cracked)too.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
I break a set about every 2 yrs. usually the pinion gear gives up a tooth or two.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I would suggest checking the backlash to determine wear.
Excessive backlash will indicate ring and pinion wear, also allow additional forces between the two during launch, and allow the gear noises y'all are talking about.
Years ago Richmond guy's told be to always run a GL6 or better lube to help prevent the shock loads.
That said I have no idea how many runs you could get, different power levels and cars.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you can see this video without being on Facebook,but did anybody see this today?

https://www.facebook.com/offic...212780534649696/?t=0

I guess he snapped an axle.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post