DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How many runs can be put on ring and pinion gears?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many runs can be put on ring and pinion gears?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted
How many runs until failure? Does anyone change them out before failure?

Contemplating changing them out as I know for a fact they have over 350 runs each on 3 cars...well 2 now...thoughts?

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would think a lot more than that if properly maintained. I plan on pulling my center section this winter and checking lash then reinstall with new lube. Mines only been there two years but should be good for while longer. I think I had about ten years on gears in other car but a Dana but don’t think that makes any differentlce and well over 1000 passes.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
IMO you are probably good for while.Probably being key word. If I ran as often you guys seem to I would update about everything during winter. Is it worth a round of racing,especially if its later rounds?
Your car probably go another season,Cory's car getting more runs in ,I would change.

Could have helped myself but didn't want to.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
That filthy filthy mouth Chris! Big Grin

Cory made a ton of laps this year! Very proud of my boy!

Will take a look at them and go from there...

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Typicality starts to make noise before they break

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Every 600 to 650 runs with a 6.90 quarter mile dragster. Starts bending the teeth on the pinion and rear will tighten before it breaks.

Posts: 62 | Location: home | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Bought a used pig. Put 500-600 runs on those Pro gears. Took them out this year for maintenance, then ended up putting them in my buddies car to win a points championship......and he plans to keep racing them.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop? Answer: Three

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop? Answer: Three

Take care. Tom Worthington
between 172 and 204 that's out of 4 attempts to get that number.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I would change them. Most of mine have broken around 600-750 runs. Of course unless you aren't planning on going any rounds next year Super Angry

Posts: 2108 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I would get out if been in there 3 years...trust me I’m good at breaking them

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
All 3 cars had fresh gears this year...

Blue car (crashed) 4.70s and 80s... had at least 300 plus

Yellow car had at least 250 or more...4.40s and 50s

Red car has roughly 275 and is 4.60s and 70s

Rear seal on trans was wiped out on crashed car but is working fine in the red car now...what are yalls thoughts of failure possibilities with the center section resulting from the crash in the blue car?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
When I swapped out my 4.29 center to go TD racing they looked brand new with over 1000 runs. Motive Pro gears and always use Redline 70/90 racing Syn oil

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:

Rear seal on trans was wiped out on crashed car but is working fine in the red car now...what are yalls thoughts of failure possibilities with the center section resulting from the crash in the blue car?

I would look at the ring gear teeth, then pull out the pinion and look at those teeth, if no cracks, reassembly and run.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just curious…is the car that was crashed repairable?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Contemplating changing them out as I know for a fact they have over 350 runs each on 3 cars...well 2 now...thoughts?

Chris!!! Turns out for us, 3 seasons on trans, converter, center section and now axles. Axels at least 1600 runs or more counting PS runs too. Cracked a converter in the final at Vegas with three trouble three years!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Just curious…is the car that was crashed repairable?

No sir chassis is twisted/kinked/bent in many places...

Barry that's alot of runs!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I asked a guy at Richmond gear about gear life decades ago. He said if it was set up properly it would last a few runs after it starts making noise. Several times over the years mine started making (loud) noise. It would go from quite, to terrible noise during shut down all of a sudden. It done this once during 1st round at one of the 5 day races at Moroso. I won that race, then changed my gear the next morning. I always was able to finish the race I was in, then changed it but that was probably the most runs I made after "the noise". I don't know if you could hear (the noise) in a dragster though. This was a 12 bolt rear, 2350 pound 5 second 1/8 mile door car. Wally (Stroupe) and probably a bunch of other people used to put a tube with a screw on cap on fabricated 9 inch housing so you could look inside and examine the gear without dis assembling anything. Does anyone still make housings that way?

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Loaded question but for bracket dragsters, burnout tire shake will kill the gears must faster... Driver skills he can pay off here big time! Also MT tires fix this problem too! Smile

Years mean nothing, number of runs is what matters. For your 4.40 car, setup right with a driver friendly burnouts, no reason you can't get well over 700 passes with Pro Gears. If you get much less than this without burnout issues then you have something wrong, maybe a weak housing or carrier or setup issues.....

Typically I pull the pinion out (Ford 9")every year to check it, this gear goes first as it works 4 times harder than the ring gear! If it looks good and the entire assembly spins good I go another year. I have had a few sets go bad, most of the time if you pay attention you will hear them get noisy in the shutdown! As soon as you hear that get them out.

Also run gear oil with a GL5 rating.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
I asked a guy at Richmond gear about gear life decades ago. He said if it was set up properly it would last a few runs after it starts making noise. Several times over the years mine started making (loud) noise. It would go from quite, to terrible noise during shut down all of a sudden. It done this once during 1st round at one of the 5 day races at Moroso. I won that race, then changed my gear the next morning. I always was able to finish the race I was in, then changed it but that was probably the most runs I made after "the noise". I don't know if you could hear (the noise) in a dragster though. This was a 12 bolt rear, 2350 pound 5 second 1/8 mile door car. Wally (Stroupe) and probably a bunch of other people used to put a tube with a screw on cap on fabricated 9 inch housing so you could look inside and examine the gear without dis assembling anything. Does anyone still make housings that way?

Yes you can hear it if you pay attention!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post