DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    WHEEL SPACER QUESTION
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHEEL SPACER QUESTION
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted
ON MY DRAGSTER I WAS LOOKING AT USING A GOODYEAR TIRE WITH ALMOST 22” SECTION WIDTH WHICH LEAVES ME WITH ONLY 1/2” CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE FOUR LINK BAR. I DO NOT WANT THE TIRE TO RUB WHEN TURNING AND FEEL THAT A 1/2” SPACER WOULD GIVE THE DESIRED CLEARANCE. I HAVE NEVER LIKED USING SPACERS BUT WOULD LIKE TO GET OPINIONS ON THIS. I WOULD AT LEAST USE A QUALITY SPACER THAT FITS SNUG ON PROPER LENGTH 5/8” STUDS. AS I AM TYPING THIS I MAY CONTACT MARK WILLIAMS AND SEE WHAT ADVICE THEY GIVE. THANK IN ADVANCE

STATE CAPITOL RACEWAY
2017 QUICK-16 TRACK CHAMPION

Posts: 54 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Personally if it only rubbed once in a while / slightly I'd just live with it rather than run spacers, but my last dragster had spacers on it for thousands of runs (7.50's) with no issues.
Also, PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK, WE ARE ALL FRIENDS HERE AND THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOUT!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have used the mark Williams spacers with zero issues, just don’t use cast aluminum ones

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I ran 1/2" spacers from Hawk Machine on my old Vega for years with no issue. Nice piece for the money($16). I think I had to drill mine out when I went to 5/8" studs, but they may have them available with the bigger holes.

https://hawkmachine.com/t/wheel-spacers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SuperProRacer,

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Good fitting spacers will work just fine and not weaken it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3984 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
Personally if it only rubbed once in a while / slightly I'd just live with it rather than run spacers, but my last dragster had spacers on it for thousands of runs (7.50's) with no issues.
Also, PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK, WE ARE ALL FRIENDS HERE AND THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOUT!

NO OFFENCE INTENDED BILLY IT’S MY TRADEMARK A.C.A.T.T. PLUS I CAN READ IT A LITTLE BETTER.

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR INPUT, I WILL LIKELY STAY WITH THE 19” SECTION WIDTH TIRES I HAVE BEEN USING, I JUST WISH THE SIDEWALLS WOULD LAST LONGER.

STATE CAPITOL RACEWAY

Posts: 54 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Is there any real need to use spacers with 1/2" of current space?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
I ran billet 1" spacers for yrs going 1.05 60ft. No issues

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bucky:
Is there any real need to use spacers with 1/2" of current space?[/QUOTE

A FRIEND HAS THE SAME CHASSIS AND REAR END WITH THE GOODYEARS AND HIS RUBS. I AM CONCERNED THAT IF THE CAR GETS OUT OF SHAPE ON THE TRACK IT COULD BE A PROBLEM. I THINK IT NEEDS A LEAST 1” CLEARANCE.

STATE CAPITOL RACEWAY