DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Too much starter to Flexplate Clearance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too much starter to Flexplate Clearance
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Has anyone run into to much clearance between the end of the Bendix and the flex plate? I have .165" gap, Tilton recommends .100 +/- .040. Any companies make a longer Bendix to cure this, or an offset flex plate towards the block? Small block Chevy, Hitachi style starter. Currently has a Pioneer 153 tooth flex plate. Thanks

Posts: 142 | Location: Ashland,Va | Registered: March 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert on the Hitachi starter but you might be able to machine the motor side of the nose block down about .025". A good machine shop with a lathe should be able to look at it and see what to do.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 235 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Just to make sure this isn't really easy, there doesn't happen to be a shim installed between the nose and mounting block?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Just to make sure this isn't really easy, there doesn't happen to be a shim installed between the nose and mounting block?

Beat me to it. First thing I thought of.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wish it was that easy!

Posts: 142 | Location: Ashland,Va | Registered: March 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Yes, my 383 SBC has a shim between the flexplate and crank. I always thought it was due to it being a one piece rear main seal block/crank. Not sure if they make the same thing for a 2 piece seal crank.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Yes, my 383 SBC has a shim between the flexplate and crank. I always thought it was due to it being a one piece rear main seal block/crank. Not sure if they make the same thing for a 2 piece seal crank.

Wouldn't a shim between the flexplate and crank flange make his problem worse?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4443 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Maybe i read it wrong but it sounds like he is talking front to back, not the tooth engagement clearance.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:

Wouldn't a shim between the flexplate and crank flange make his problem worse?

Ha, you are correct! Maybe he has a shim in there he isn't aware of?

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why not try it before making changes.

Unless your stuff is super trick it should be all standard dimensions for all involved components.

All my motors I've dealt with... Bolt it on, check if it needs a shim underneath. Put a few in and try it. Never had an issue and never had a problem after years of use

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1433 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
https://www.jegs.com/images/ph...0/454/454-54-952.jpg
These will move the gear away if they are there.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Flexplate isn't on backwards is it?

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Wondered the same thing.

Flexplates are well....flexible. If checked without the convertor attached it could be too far away. Rotate the engine some and it could be too close.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This is being checked with no convertor, actually on the engine stand. Thanks for the replies wish it was a simple fix to it, looks like there will be some machining involved.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Does the drive engage at least 1/2 the width of the ring gear? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Does the drive engage at least 1/2 the width of the ring gear? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

This ^^^^

We would think 100% engagement would be preferred, but in the case of our 383, it wasn't. Starter was much better at 50%. I too did this on an engine stand and actually cranked it many times with and without spark plugs.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I just went through this. I am not a mechanic but whatever kind of mini starter he put on it had a shim which he removed so the starter drive went deeper into the flexplate teeth. I had a brand new CVR and it only went in less than 1/2 way and 3 ruined flexplates later I took it to someone smarter than me

Posts: 6197 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Is this a 1 piece rear seal or 2? Do you have 9 teeth or 11 teeth on the starter? Also shimming the starter is gonna make it worse. That will move the starter ****her away. If you are using the 1 piece rear seal block 350 look and see if you have the correct one. Most are externally balanced. Look for weights. 2 diff starter for this application possible.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Just about all of the Hitachi starters out of the box have a drive shim in them. I almost always end up taking that shim out to increase the gear engagement with the flywheel but it's all about doing the measurements. The shim is normally .060 punched aluminum.

Good that you measured this but pull the gear shim out and see where you end up at. According to your numbers it should put you at .105 which is within spec.

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Actually found the problem to be the holes drilled wrong in the mounting block, pulled a parts starter apart and used that block and .095 clearance now.