New
Find
Notify
Tools

ET Genie users
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
How far can you close off the air till you have a problem with coming up cleanly against the converter? 1.800 is full open, what have you been down to?

Posts: 5 | Location: Clovis, CA | Registered: January 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Closed it off enough that it felt like I was dragging a semi down the track behind me! You can close it off too much for sure. Throttle response and reaction will be the biggest loosers.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I need to scrub off .6-.7 tenths. Is this with in the design parameters?

Posts: 5 | Location: Clovis, CA | Registered: January 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.

What are you going, what are you trying to go and what is your combo?

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think anything more than 7 tenths is too much. I use the genie and have had great success using it to slow down 3-4 tenths and it's perfect. My car runs 6.60s all out and I recently tried to slow it down to 7.50 and was able to do so but the burnout became a real pain. I bought the genie to super street and 7.0 index race.

Posts: 18 | Location: Houston  | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Rob, my car runs 8.90’s and I index race 9.60. Track weather can swing from 1000’ to 5000’ depending on what time of year. I need the adjustment. Tried taking timing out but car became inconsistent. Maybe my only other choice is a smaller carb, 750cfm or similar and adjust from there if I can’t close this off effectively.

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
The old restrictor plate debate Big Grin

I cant answer how far you can go with a ET Genie, but with an EZ plate system I've went from 10.30's to 12.50's and the car was actually still pretty decent. 10.30's to 11.50's and the car was just as good as no plate.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If you are going to kill a lot of ET I would add some weight and use the Genie. I think when you get close to max it may not be as consistent.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
The old restrictor plate debate Big Grin

I cant answer how far you can go with a ET Genie, but with an EZ plate system I've went from 10.30's to 12.50's and the car was actually still pretty decent. 10.30's to 11.50's and the car was just as good as no plate.

But is it linear? Big Grin

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Big Grin that guy is a dumb ass and it's why he's out of business.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
The Camaro in my avatar was going 9.15-17 and I slowed it to 10.05-10.10 from 1997 to 2003. Winning a track championship and several top 3 finishes with a 750cfm carb and a throttle limiter. You are well within the doable range of the Genie.

Rob Robertson

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Ed is right, EZ is out of business. BUT I have used the Gene and a plate system and a plate system is way more consistent. The Gene is just way to dirty under the carb, too much going on for good air flow IMHO. Look up MarkoPerformanceDesign. He makes a great plate system and he is right on with his plates. I wanted to slow my car down from 8.2 to 9.0 and he sent me 10 plates telling me the middle plate should put me very close. He was right. First run was 8.98. Went down one plate and haven't changed it since.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've been using Willy's adjustable restrictor plate for 4150 carbs, on my 900+HP BBC since 2007, same design as the ET Genie and my car was no less consistent or predicable than if it wasn't there. Further, it's far easily/quicker to adjust ET in the lanes than any plate system.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Does anyone here use the Dedenbear manual disc types. They seem fairly popular out here in the west in the gas classes

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

<DOTracer>
posted
I ran the ET Genie for a number of years. Worked well but the more data I gathered, the more I noticed some strange things going on. At times it wasn't very predictable. You could make a change expecting say .02 and the car might not change at all, even after factoring weather. Then the next run you might not change it and the car swings .03 or .04.

The other issue I saw that bothered me the most is it affected the fuel distribution in the manifold plenum. On my bbc the four corners ran alot leaner than the inside 4.

I believe having the plates slide front to back changed the shape and direction of the fuel cone coming out of the booster. The Dominator base being square I was able to rotate the plate 90 degrees but the predictability seemed the same.

I took the ET Genie off and sold it. Switched to a Marko plate and so far it's been more predictable and no signs of the outer 4 corners running lean. Each plate changes .015" in diameter from one to the next and for my car a plate change is worth .018 to .020 in ET.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
So Ed, all your parts and the vendors you use are by far the best products and services in the world. Why don’t you just do us a favor and post a list of all your combos, parts and vendors you use so the rest of us can save money and time. Then we can just buy all the stuff you have and be perfect like you.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
they are Razz

and as you requested...

AC Delco
AFCO
Air Armed
ATI
ATM Innovations
ARP
Biondo
Brodix
B&M
BTE
Callies
Cheetah shifter
Collector Tethers
Cometic
Comp Cams
Concorde Batteries
CV Products
Dart
Denso
Dynatech Headers
Edelbrock
Elite Chassis
Fel Pro
Flex A Lite
Hoosier
House of Payne
Hunstville Engines
Isky
ISP
JAZ
JE Pistons
Jones Trans Pump
K&N
K&R
Lokar
Lucas
Magnafuel
Manley
Mark Williams
Meziere
Moroso
MPR Racecars
MSD
PAC
Penske
RacePak
REF Unlimited
Rollmaster
Simpson
Smith Bros
SPAL
Stinnett
Sunoco
T&D
Undercover Motorsports
Weld Wheels
Willy's
Wiseco
XRP
#1 Stop