Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tree Lighting at Night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree Lighting at Night
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anyone bothered by the way the starting line and tree are lighted at night? It seems there is a lot of variance between tracks on the amount of light directed toward the tree.

Posts: 48 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It’s the same for everybody.....

Posts: 527 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes it bothers me a lot. It changes my reaction times as much as .030 slower. which is ok if u know this ahead of time I have lost more than once at a new to me track because of this and each one effects me differently.Most tracks have good light on the tree .

2017 Modified Sumerduck dragway Champ
2015 SBRA Footbrake Points Champ
Mason Dixon Dragway
Horse Power Innovations
E 85 Carb

Posts: 37 | Location: manassas | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have trouble at night too. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a lot of trouble with the glare at night.

Posts: 198 | Location: VA | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
It’s the same for everybody.....

Dead On!

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 761 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
My biggest issue with night racing at a track that doesn't illuminate the tree is:
1. The stage bulbs are so bright, when lit that they cover up the top bulb.
2. The LED's are also very bright, that also contributes to having slower reaction times.
3. I'm old.

Posts: 386 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I solved that day/night/glare problem with the correct glasses.

One thing that did get me was a track that faces West by Southwest, final time shot, sun is behind the tree, 12 minutes later when I stage for 1st round, they have erected a 4x8 sheet of black plywood behind the tree. THAT screwed me up, if not optically, it sure messed with my head.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 382 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Back lighting is a huge challenge. Fortunately, my home track is well lit, mostly races during the day, and I can focus on the bottom as the tree comes down. At tracks where I lose the bulb I can be as much as .040+ late. It's very frustrating to deal with. I think it's worse for bottom bulb racing because the other bulbs are so bright vs. the incandescent stage bulbs.

I've seen tracks install a spotlight shining on the tree and this would be very helpful!

Matt

Posts: 1192 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
The first and most important thing to do is research and understand how your eyes and brain perceive light and light differences. Turn a disadvantage into your advantage.

Posts: 516 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of stk 758 BP!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by botmbulb:
The first and most important thing to do is research and understand how your eyes and brain perceive light and light differences. Turn a disadvantage into your advantage.

^^^^ Bingo and the affect your beverage of choice and food has on it too....

Posts: 2205 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Norwalk has the best that I've seen, with a floodlight on each side of the tree, set up about halfway to the tree.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7126 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Being a bottom bulb racer I have lost because I was looking at the wrong bulb because it was so dark you could not tell---this happens more often than you think if you travel a lot. My cure---I have 2 halogen lights mounted in my grill so I can light up ANY tree.....

Posts: 4445 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post