New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Wheel Stand
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
This morning I got an unexpected huge wheel stand on the first hit. I felt like I was driving my buddies Super Stocker again. Anyway, it was a nice smooth deal with the same for the landing. Thanks to my AFCO expertly tuned shocks, by myself. LOL!

This run I was trying to slow the car down to 6.40, it went 6.01 @ 113. I guess I didn't detune it enough. They sprung an unknown diaper rule on us. Yes, I know I need to put one on; on the list for the off season.

More to come when able & using my phone for this sucks.

2BKing Cool

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Technical difficulties (phone), LOL! Car went from a previous 1.44 to a 1.34 60' yesterday with minor ECU changes.

2BKing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Technical difficulties (phone), LOL! Car went from a previous 1.44 to a 1.34 60' yesterday with minor ECU changes.

2BKing

That will get your attention.... Eek

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1653 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I miss doing wheelies

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

2BKing

More technical difficulties this morning. While I've the car calmed down for the wheel stands for now. I thought I had the 1/8 mile slowed from the 6.01 on Wednesday. The other 3 runs yesterday were between 6.10 & 6.15 with shifting early & timing changes. It's still not slow enough & I have to run the 1/4 mile at 10.00 flat. I have the back half taken care of with getting off the throttle for 3 seconds at the 1/8th & running 9.90s.

This morning I was going to get off the throttle at the 330' mark for 2 seconds & I forgot to do it. Well, the darn thing went 5.99 @ 115 mph; the short shift & pulled timing is slowing the car down about .15 to the 1/8th.

I've been working hard to speed this darn thing up & here I'm working hard to slow it down. It sure isn't working very well. I'll be glad for next week's Thanksgiving race; I can run it all out. Big Grin

2BKing

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Car went from a previous 1.44 to a 1.34 60' yesterday with minor ECU changes.

How much boost are you presently using? Is boost amount desired programmable in the ECU? This is procharger?

btw.. my car doesn't do wheelies

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Car went from a previous 1.44 to a 1.34 60' yesterday with minor ECU changes.

How much boost are you presently using? Is boost amount desired programmable in the ECU? This is procharger?

btw.. my car doesn't do wheelies

The boost isn't programmable with the ECU for a ProCharger that I know of, for a turbo it's.

I'm leaving on 2.4 lbs. of boost @ 3,200 rpm. The problem I was having with the 1.44 60's, was the AFR spiking to 20 while on the 2-step. Then coming off the transbrake/limiter it would dump fuel & go to 9 for AFR. It literally made the car bog on the release. My band aide/fix was to add fuel in the 2 cells used during the limiter in open loop. Regardless, I must have made the right choices to pick-up the 60' that much. I haven't looked at the data logs yet, but I'm sure it's still lean spiking & going fat at the brake release.

I don't like chasing this new combo, by worrying about getting the car slowed down. This is only one race & next week's races; I can focus on going faster & getting consistency.

I prefer not to do wheelies on the full tree!

2BKing Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:

2BKing

That will get your attention.... Eek

Goob,

The wheel stand did, but the 1.34 60' didn't. We pulled 1.34 - 1.35 60's with the same car & same basic motor N/A. Hoping to get somewhere in the 1.20s with the ProCharger combo.

Big Steve,

Photos are great; so is a wheelie bar. I have neither, maybe a photo will show up from someone.

2BKing Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm leaving on 2.4 lbs. of boost @ 3,200 rpm. The problem I was having with the 1.44 60's, was the AFR spiking to 20 while on the 2-step. Then coming off the transbrake/limiter it would dump fuel & go to 9 for AFR. It literally made the car bog on the release. My band aide/fix was to add fuel in the 2 cells used during the limiter in open loop. Regardless, I must have made the right choices to pick-up the 60' that much. I haven't looked at the data logs yet, but I'm sure it's still lean spiking & going fat at the brake release.

Try programming closed loop and learn to start at 2000 rpm, and closed loop compensation limits of +/- 100% in that rpm range. Clear the Learn Table. Foot brake (not TB) the engine (in gear) to your launch rpm and afterwards view the learn table to see what it was compensating. Transfer this to map and try with 2-step. If your data acquisition starts with TB button activated, cycle button just prior to FB.

My engine 2-steps 0.5 fatter than the target afr (open loop) and is on closed loop 0.25 after release. I program the closed loop compensation limits to get to the desired afr in a linear fashion not overshooting (lean) the programmed afr.

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Markmark is the man to listen to on programming!!!

Markmark KNOWS!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BG7X77,

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Try programming closed loop and learn to start at 2000 rpm, and closed loop compensation limits of +/- 100% in that rpm range. Clear the Learn Table. Foot brake (not TB) the engine (in gear) to your launch rpm and afterwards view the learn table to see what it was compensating. Transfer this to map and try with 2-step. If your data acquisition starts with TB button activated, cycle button just prior to FB.

My engine 2-steps 0.5 fatter than the target afr (open loop) and is on closed loop 0.25 after release. I program the closed loop compensation limits to get to the desired afr in a linear fashion not overshooting (lean) the programmed afr.

I'm listening as always to your tech, sometimes it's over my rookie abilities with this Holley software. I think I understand what you want me to do, but! I can't get near my launch rpm on the footbrake 2500 is about the max. This convertor is tighter than I wanted @ 5100 stall.

Thanks,
2BKing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Markmark is the man to listen to on programming!!!

Markmark KNOWS!!!

I agree markemark KNOWS!

2Bking Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING: I can't get near my launch rpm on the footbrake 2500 is about the max. This convertor is tighter than I wanted @ 5100 stall.

I understand. Here’s something easy to try. Take your cursor and drag across the area of the map highlighting where you are lean. Then increase 5% by right clicking, select Offset Selected, *1.05, enter. This will move the fuel up 5% in that part of the map.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you in Vegas at the SCSNs.
What class?
I have the Flo Sports subscription, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
I'm guessing you in Vegas at the SCSNs.
What class?
I have the Flo Sports subscription, I'll keep an eye out for you.

M120,

Yes, at the SCSN; running the Non-Electronics class. I'm not running this morning's pass, but going to run this afternoon's pass - through the rest of the weekend. 80 Camaro red with a black front-end with no hood.

2BKing Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand. Here’s something easy to try. Take your cursor and drag across the area of the map highlighting where you are lean. Then increase 5% by right clicking, select Offset Selected, *1.05, enter. This will move the fuel up 5% in that part of the map.

MM,

I think I already did that manually in the affected cells, maybe not to 5%. I richened in the 2-step area & it made that drastic improvement in the 60'. I'll keep increasing fuel in small increments watching what's going on with the 60'.

Thanks for taking time to help! I think I'm doing want you want, but doing it a little different than described. Anyway, I don't need to improve for this race. Might find time to play around for the 6 races over the Thanksgiving week.

2BKing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Car & driver is doing good, on to the 2 round tomorrow. It's a B1TCH trying to slow this thing down to 10.00. I'm using my superior tuning & driving skills to get the job done, LOL! More to come when I get off this phone posting.

2BKing Cool

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a B1TCH trying to slow this thing down to 10.00. I'm using my superior tuning & driving skills to get the job done, LOL!

Here’s what I did to run a 10.20 class when my car was 9.90. I programmed the shift light to turn ON at the 1/8 mile and stay on for a time period and then turn off. So at the 1/8 mile I lifted off the throttle when light came ON and matted it when the light turned OFF. It worked so well ( won first 2 events) that they implemented a rule that would not allow doing this.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
bIG WHEEL STANDS MIGHT NOT WIN BUT THEY ARE COOL AND FUN AS HELL.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Why are you slowing it down?

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post