DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    3rd generation Camaro fiberglass doors?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd generation Camaro fiberglass doors?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of can'thitthetree
posted
Anyone that has done this, if you would share info/ experience it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 28 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: December 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a 3rd gen that came with FG doors and Lexan. Unknown brand. Very light and easy lift off.

I installed a door mount on the trailer interior sidewall to hang the drivers door prior to driving in. Makes for easy and fast loading. Getting in and out of the car when loaded is also very easy.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I like the idea for easily removing the doors. The factory doors are HEAVY, even after whittling unnecessary structure.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Markemark sent you a PM

Posts: 28 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: December 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
This was my fiberglass door project back in 2009

https://www.thirdgen.org/forum...ss-door-project.html

I also take the drivers door off and hang it on the trailer wall. Makes getting in and out of the car in the trailer a lot easier.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My car came with lift off Harwood FG hood with 4” cowl. It’s held down with 14 dzus fasteners.

The 3 gallon alky tank is up front and filled after every run. I remove and replace the hood by myself to fuel the car and have a look at the engine compartment. I've even removed the hood while parked in the trailer by myself.

My car has factory F+R glass and am considering replacing with some of the newer scratch resistance Lexan. Large weight savings and the cost is not excessive.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post

Gen 3 has a lot of curvature to the door, so I mounted reverse to give more room.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Very Nice and innovative. Where are the trailer wheel covers that are inside most tag trailers? Do you tow with the front clip in that up position and the hood strapped to the wall? If so very cool !!

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:

Gen 3 has a lot of curvature to the door, so I mounted reverse to give more room.

Same here

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
^^^^^^^ Very Nice and innovative. Where are the trailer wheel covers that are inside most tag trailers? Do you tow with the front clip in that up position and the hood strapped to the wall? If so very cool !!

Yes, the hood sits in a J track at the bottom, and 1 bungee across, was goint to put 2 dzus in the wall but this works. Wheel houses are there you just cant see them, table is sitting on top of one.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Lots of great info thanks everyone. Does anyone have any tips in general for installing fiberglass doors?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Got any better pics of how your door is hung? Mine rode on the mh bed all year

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post