DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Throttle cable connection reinforcement ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Throttle cable connection reinforcement ??
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Broke my throttle cable this last weekend. It broke at the threads where it goes into my in-line throttle-stop(SLE). The cable has small 10-32 threaded ends. It would be nice if a person could come up with a way to reinforce the threaded part of the cable end to help keep this from happening. Anyone have any ideas?

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuperProRacer:
Broke my throttle cable this last weekend. It broke at the threads where it goes into my in-line throttle-stop(SLE). The cable has small 10-32 threaded ends. It would be nice if a person could come up with a way to reinforce the threaded part of the cable end to help keep this from happening. Anyone have any ideas?

I believe Biondo has one called the bullet!

Option B, get a larger diameter cable!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Simple solution, buy a spare cable. Put it in the trailer, you’ll never need it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
I believe Biondo has one called the bullet!

Found it! Something like this is exactly what I had in mind. Not worthy

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Simple solution, buy a spare cable. Put it in the trailer, you’ll never need it.

Not with a dragster! Especially if you have an inline stop on it. They bounce around in the burnout and eventually fatigue and break. It's not a question of if, its just when... I have not seen the larger diameter cables break though.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My cable has been on since 2003, SLE on one end and for a lot of that time an inline stop on the other. Never broken it, and no Bullet.

Pivotdoc however has broken his and someone in Denver this week needed a 19 footer. Not sure if they ever found one.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I had a 1/4” cable on my 02 car and never had an issue, still on there to this day I think...my 03 car that I still own is on it’s 3rd cable, I installed a bullet Last time it got replaced about a yeat and half ago. Both cars had single cylinder SLE set ups.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to put an adjustable stop under the throttle pedal.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
What Dave said^^
If you don't have a positive stop.
Those size 13's can put a lot of unnecessary strain on that cable stretching it a bit at a time until it breaks.
If you don't carry a spare cable, carry a die that will allow you to re-thread a bit of the broken end.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yup, car has an adjustable stop under the pedal. I attempted to make my own "bullet" last night. After a couple of attempts(and a lot of sweat) I gave up and ordered the Biondo piece. Don't think it will be as strong as a larger(1/4") cable, but hopefully it will make what I have last a long time.