DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tire size ,gear ratio selection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire size ,gear ratio selection
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking for some direction on selecting a gear ratio and tire size for my bracket car,1/8 th mile racing.
3000 lb Chevelle .Big tire ,4 link 588 BBC,Dart heads (not sure of hp) rpm range is 4800-8200.Turbo 400,248 first gear .(I really need a glide ,I know )
I messed around with the Wallace and Mark Williams Calculator but I'm getting all different answers .I was hoping some of you more experienced guys could point me in the right direction.
I have 5:13s in it now but have not run the car yet at all.Im leaning towards Hoosier slicks and far as slick of choice .
Thanks in advance

Posts: 179 | Location: Matthews NC | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Asking for tire size isn’t going to help much not know what will fit in the wheel wells.i am currently running a 548 in a 2600 lb car with glide, 4.30 gears and 32,5-16-15 rear tires running 5.2x in 1/8 only turning 6700 rpms.
I would say with the three speed trans I would go to 4.56 is that motor is anything but mild.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
14x32 are under it now , forgot to add that .

Posts: 179 | Location: Matthews NC | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Put a 1+2 valve body in the TH400 and leave in 2nd gear with what you have.

TH400 2nd gear 1.48 x 5.13 = 7.59 SLR

Posts: 2452 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No other changes to the 400 need to be made ? Just valve body ?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bkt6682:
No other changes to the 400 need to be made ? Just valve body ?

I recently had the TCI Reverse VB from my TH400 replaced by ATD with their 1+2 . My trans had over 1000 runs on it since serviced and I had the trans freshened and the 1+2 install was free. They returned the old VB complete which I sold and recouped some of the new VB cost.

My TH400 has a 2.10 / 1.40 planetary. I like this 1+2 option.

Posts: 2452 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you are using a delay box with timer and rpm output I can offer you some suggestions that won’t cost you anything other than some rewiring of the shifter activation and you can use all of what you presently have.

If you have MSD Grid ignition I can show you how to use this ignition in both no-box and FB mode with what you presently have also.

What ignition box and what delay box models are you presently using?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I currently have an MSD 7AL 2. Yes I am going with a delay box , most likely K&R ,haven't got that far yet . Right now trying to figure out this tire gear thing ,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I currently have an MSD 7AL 2. Yes I am going with a delay box , most likely K&R ,haven't got that far yet . Right now trying to figure out this tire gear thing ,

Do you presently have a device that is activating the auto shift ? If yes what device?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately no I don't. I foot braked the car a while back.Put it away for a few years and am just getting back into it.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If delay box racing it’d be wise to have an auto shifter like the majority of the racers for consistency. Something has to activate the shifter and this can either be a stand-alone device, delay box or ignition.

If auto shifting you’ll need a shifter that’ll shift a 3 speed if keeping your present transmission. It would be wise to purchase a model that can be easily converted from a 3 speed shifter to a 2 speed for the future.

If you install a MSD 7730 Grid ($400) to your present ignition, and an auto shifter, and leave the th400 as is, you can use Grid to auto shift your transmission. Grid will allow you to launch the car with the engine timing retarded, put the transmission in 2nd gear just as the front tires clear the stage lights on time (0.25) and make the shift to 3rd at the desired programmed rpm with full timing.

If installing a 1+2 in your present TH400 and leaving in 2nd gear you can manually shift the transmission if desired as it’ll be in the 4 second range after launch. Auto shift still best option for consistency.

99.9% of the racers on this board will recommend trading the th400 for a glide and I would agree with a BBC. If financially possibly this is your best option imho. If not, look at Grid with an auto shift being the least expensive and upgrade transmission later as least expensive. 1+2 would be the middle cost choice but Grid with auto shift would be very good.

Leave the gearing and tires as is until you can determine what you need to change with your transmission or ignition choices.

I will make one last comment about delay box choices. If you choose to install a MSD 7730 Grid to your present ignition the only thing your delay box will need to do is offer a delay and a bump feature if not wanting a SLE which I doubt you’ll need. Anything a delay box can be programmed to do after the release of the transbrake MSD Grid can do better. Spending a lesser amount here and more else ware is a wise choice.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will make one last comment about delay box choices. If you choose to install a MSD 7730 Grid to your present ignition the only thing your delay box will need to do is offer a delay and a bump feature if not wanting a SLE which I doubt you’ll need. Anything a delay box can be programmed to do after the release of the transbrake MSD Grid can do better. Spending a lesser amount here and more else ware is a wise choice.

In my experience the Grid isn’t as consistent with the shift as a box. I was wired to do it either way, with the Grid or with the K&N - and the Grid was way less consistent. The K&N would be within 25 to 50 RPM’s every time but the Grid would fluctuate between 200 to 75 RPM’s difference. I don’t use the Grid anymore for shifting.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
In my experience the Grid isn’t as consistent with the shift as a box. I was wired to do it either way, with the Grid or with the K&N - and the Grid was way less consistent. The K&N would be within 25 to 50 RPM’s every time but the Grid would fluctuate between 200 to 75 RPM’s difference. I don’t use the Grid anymore for shifting.

I’m not familiar with K&N for shifting , only for air filters.

If you are making reference to K&R , try shifting using RPM with one of these boxes.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Sorry, its early here... I meant K&R.... I have tested the Grid against a RPM shifter, and got the same variance every time. I am wired to where I can switch from RPM's to time with a switch, and was wired to where I could stitch from the Grid to a Digital Delay RPM box. The Grid just isn't as accurate when shifting on RPM's as using the Digital Delay.

I was an RPM guy for a long time but since switching to time, I am more consistent with timed shifting than RPM. Not to mention that I can change the shift point in the lanes on the fly.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
One thing to remember is when using the Wallace calculators is to take into account for converter loss. On my converter it is 5% to 9% loss so i just add that back to RPM that calculator says.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
If delay box racing it’d be wise to have an auto shifter like the majority of the racers for consistency. Something has to activate the shifter and this can either be a stand-alone device, delay box or ignition.

If auto shifting you’ll need a shifter that’ll shift a 3 speed if keeping your present transmission. It would be wise to purchase a model that can be easily converted from a 3 speed shifter to a 2 speed for the future.

If you install a MSD 7730 Grid ($400) to your present ignition, and an auto shifter, and leave the th400 as is, you can use Grid to auto shift your transmission. Grid will allow you to launch the car with the engine timing retarded, put the transmission in 2nd gear just as the front tires clear the stage lights on time (0.25) and make the shift to 3rd at the desired programmed rpm with full timing.

If installing a 1+2 in your present TH400 and leaving in 2nd gear you can manually shift the transmission if desired as it’ll be in the 4 second range after launch. Auto shift still best option for consistency.

99.9% of the racers on this board will recommend trading the th400 for a glide and I would agree with a BBC. If financially possibly this is your best option imho. If not, look at Grid with an auto shift being the least expensive and upgrade transmission later as least expensive. 1+2 would be the middle cost choice but Grid with auto shift would be very good.

Leave the gearing and tires as is until you can determine what you need to change with your transmission or ignition choices.

Thank you

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna look into the grid a bit more ,did some research on it and I think it will work well with the 1+2 valve body for now .

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm gonna look into the grid a bit more ,did some research on it and I think it will work well with the 1+2 valve body for now .

You might be interested in reading more about MSD Grid HERE

The 1+2 for th400 definitely offers options to how you want to race. But because you have a BBC I think you would be wise to look at a ALL GEAR valve body for the th400 from FTI if you intend to go with a 1+2. This All Gear will allow you to leave with the trans brake in all 3 gears. This could be a valuable option that comes at the same price of a 1+2. Options like this can also allow you to change your racing setup given the track conditions. I suggest you call Greg at FTI 866-726-8358 a sponsor on this site, for more information on this Valve Body. They have a Black Friday sale going on this week also.

The most recent winner of the Loose Rockers American DoorSlammer Nationals at Piedmont Raceway on Sunday November 18 was a BBC using a glide with Hi Gear only door car that was dialed 6.33 and ran dead on his dial.

Running hi gear only glide or 2nd gear – Hi Gear in th400 is becoming more popular because it offers the option of running slower with a much higher mph.

My suggestion is this. Get yourself options in what you purchase. Definitely MSD 7730 Grid and an Autoshifter. If you have more money do an all gear from FTI. Then go racing and see what you can do without spending any more money on equipment. You now have options.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
HERE'S a link to the FTI All Gear TB VB for the TH400

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark,appreaciate your advice.I have some good direction now .