DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    stagging w/o sle and injection.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stagging w/o sle and injection.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
I know a lot here swear by sle. I also know most here have no issue with sle and injection. Also most have no problem with 2 step. Also most know I am not most.LOL

Question for guys not using sle and running injection. Are you staging wideopen and letting two step control rpm the whole time or stage part throttle and go full part the way down tree?

I know I use to stage the Nova .load converter on 1st bulb, let go of button and go WO at same time on bottom bulb. Worked great for the 22yo driver leaving off bottom. The 53 yo leaving off top probably not so much.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4169 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
MFI or EFI ?

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Stage at idle, usually about 1600-1700 in neutral, 1100-1200 in gear, light both bulbs, set button, SLE activates, pedal goes to the floor, release button, SLE pulls throttle open at 1.00 seconds before transbrake release, motor goes up on 2 step till transbrake releases.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Wallace Cleaver
posted Hide Post
No SLE on my car. Stage, rest foot on throttle so it's just off idle (habit from carb days), second amber full throttle and go! Being a top bulber I am off the button earlier at times but after im off the button I just stare at middle bulb to hit the throttle. Being MFI there is no lag and it gets to my 2 step in plenty of time to be consistent.

Multi-time First round runner up extraordinaire

Posts: 38 | Location: UT | Registered: January 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
OP wrote “Question for guys not using sle and running injection”. OK that’s me.

I have MFI (toilet) and leave both top and bottom bulb. Top bulb is box and bottom bulb I use a blinder. My engine is sbc and 2-step varies from 3350 to 4800 depending on what I am doing.

In box, release button and mat the pedal. In no-box, duck behind blinder, do a quick 2 count, mat pedal and release button when last yellow comes on.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
If for some reason, we're given a Pro tree, I can't use my SLE or a delay box. I'll turn them off. I simply stage and hit the transbrake button as soon as both stage lights are on, I put the pedal to the floor. The transbrake button also activates the 2 step so I'm sitting at WOT and bouncing off the 2 step at around 4500 rpm. As soon as I see a flicker of yellow, I release the transbrake button and away I go.

If I had to so it on a full tree with no SLE, I'd do the same thing except off the top bulb then let the delay box count down.

I have no reason to launch at WOT without a 2-step. It would be too violent.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1349 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use the sle function on my delay box wired to the step 5 turbo spool feature on the grid. Ron's Terminator, stage at idle, then 2800 until second yellow at 4600.

Posts: 12 | Location: Texas  | Registered: October 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My car is injected and I do not use SLE. For Pro Tree I stage hit transbrake and go wide open.
Now for footbrake racing I bring the RPMs up to desired RPM and stage. But I am always the faster car so I do not want to sit there on the converter for 7 seconds.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3970 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wallace Cleaver:
No SLE on my car. Stage, rest foot on throttle so it's just off idle (habit from carb days), second amber full throttle and go! Being a top bulber I am off the button earlier at times but after im off the button I just stare at middle bulb to hit the throttle. Being MFI there is no lag and it gets to my 2 step in plenty of time to be consistent.

Cars 60 deadly consistent? Mainly what I was looking for input on this style routine.

Markemark,

Yes MFI sorry been doing it so long and never had EFI so its just like everyone has MFI. Sure EFI is great just too much computer involved for me.
About(exact almost impossible) how long on 2 step when top bulb? it hit 2nd bulb on or 3rd bulb coming on.

Reason asking I have been playing with getting routine. Yes can adjust and will have to I am sure.Pretty sure tuning old **** driving will be more than tuning motor.Lol

Thanks guys.

Posts: 4169 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Wallace Cleaver
posted Hide Post
Yes sir. Its within a few thou every pass even when the track isn't great.

Multi-time First round runner up extraordinaire

Posts: 38 | Location: UT | Registered: January 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few racers have consistency issues with SLE. I've always staged the car at idle and went WOT when the second bulb comes on. It seems to be consistent and it keeps the excess fuel out of the engine.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Ok getting more and more convinced the sle is just another could go bad piece that the DRIVER can eliminate .Would also eliminate me wanting to get another delay box right away.

So lees to go wrong,less weight and not have to spend cash I don't have right now.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We use a lean-out.

Trans brake, 2 step, and lean out all hooked to the button. Right too the wood on the top bulb.

Never liked the sle for injection, I think they work better with accelerator pumps.

https://fuelinjectionent.mysho...n-out-valve-assembly

1.34 9.42@ 142.41 1.29 5.97 @ 114.00 @ #3251 Better in 2022
427 BBC by S&S Speed Center, AFD, Enderle MFI by Spud Miller
Trackside Products, Sepanek Racing T400, Dynamic converter, Autoweld, Santhuff, Smith Racecraft,
His real name is Richard but they call it "**** Fords Body Shop"

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 69427:
Never liked the sle for injection, I think they work better with accelerator pumps.

That's an interesting statement. My injection (and I'm not the only person to ever say this) comes up quicker and more crisp than any carb I've had.

My SLE/throttle stop has no valves to slow the opening, and it has never had a miss or hiccup.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This ^^^^^^

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Now I agree with the injection responds like carb dreams about and if it don't you have something wrong. I just do not like dropping cylinders on 2 step and throwing BV WO at same time. Now on pro tree I can see it being useful well lets say more so for me.

Response of injection is why I wanted a adjustable SLE timer so I could dial in what I want. May reconnect once I get new delay. For now I think stage,hit button, hit throttle after 2nd bulb has been on and before 3rd.Hopefully just hit 2 step as TB releases or not hit it at all,

I wonder how many here using sle with injtection, have either enderle cube,hilborn or Rons BV? All are more restrictive than a K style which flows straight thru where as ederle cube makes 180 .From what I remember about the only hilborn I ever looked it its pretty restrictive too.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I run a Ron's system. Footbrake. No SLE. It's a little choppy at the line but nothing that I haven't gotten used to.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
One of the racers here that was running TD wanted to activate a lean out valve, but only when the engine was WOT with the 2-step activated. If the TB button was being activated at idle he did not want the lean out valve being turned on.

Because he was using Grid, I was able to come up with a wiring method and Grid programming for this to work properly.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
SLE is love..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragstermike:
I've seen a few racers have consistency issues with SLE. I've always staged the car at idle and went WOT when the second bulb comes on. It seems to be consistent and it keeps the excess fuel out of the engine.

That makes zero sense.. If anything it's more consistent.. What excess fuel?

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post