DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Plugs with rust specs...need advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plugs with rust specs...need advice
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted
Haven't raced the car in a little over 3 weeks and the last time I raced it ,the weather was pretty hot and very humid. Went through to pull the plugs tonight and I noticed that number in 3 and number 6 had a little bit of white on the inside and had some Rust specks. Also looked through spark plug holes and I could see a little bit of a rust ring on the exhaust valves of number 6 and number 8 on the top side not on the combustion side. Could this be condensation or could I have a head gasket leak somewhere any thoughts. I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to.[URL= ]Plugs[/URL]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: highstrung,

Posts: 32 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
A leak down test might be in order.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I experience the same issue with running Q16. Its a little more pronounced. It did the same thing running C14 also. No coolant problems either.My problem is the inside temp of the shop. Which is cool most of the time. I have dealt with this for years. Bore scope great little tool. Now when i put the car up for the season, I pull the plugs and spray some WD40 in the holes, spin it over and re plug it up. But like CV stated above, leak down first in order. I have a friend that has the same issue with the Q16 in his home garage. He puts the car back in when the motor is still warm. I will see it around the margin of the exhaust valves also.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
Thanks...did do leak down...2--3%. Ran it today....seemed fine. Gonna pull plugs and and check water level. And yes...borescope might be added to toolbox soon. Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 32 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post