DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    4500 sticking open
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4500 sticking open
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
My QF alky 4500 is sticking when you open it completely. I can put a stronger return spring on it but I don't think it should be sticking like it is.
Suggestions?

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My first response would be to look at the throttle shaft.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I agree the throttle shaft may be worn out. Many people have their return springs set up wrong. They must pull inline with the throttle cable or rod. Many put the return spring on same side as the cable on bottom of the shaft. That means when you pull the throttle open both the spring and the cable are pulling same direction and putting too much stress on the shaft if that makes sense. That wears it out and puts it in a bind.

But you must fix it. Try taking the spring and cable off and verify that the shaft is not sticking and worn. If that is all smooth then check out the cable itself while disconnected and verify it is smooth.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Assuming the carb still has internal linkage, take the carb off and turn it upside down and carbclean the linkage well then oil it well and see if that corrects the issue.
I've even used motorcycle chain oil because it's made to cling. Also use a 4-h0le gasket so it seals the linkage cavity from air/fuel flow removing the oil.
if that doesn't fix it check the throttle blades are still centered up in the bores.
You did remove the throttle cable/rod when checking the bend right?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have to lube my throttle shafts on the regular on alcohol. I also seen this problem on cars with no other noticable problems and it was white death around the squirter check ball holding pressure on the arm/cam. I'd start by taking both bowels off and confirming it still sticks then look at the throttle shafts.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Carb shafts were okay but gave them a few drops of machine oil. Throttle cable seemed to be good, gave it a few drops on each end. Put a slightly heavier return spring on and carb doesn't stick open now.
Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I have an older 4500 on the shelf, bought it fairly cheap, seller said it would stick on him. The throttle shaft is worn, and very slightly twisted.
Does anyone know any company that sells replacement throttle shafts for Dominators?
I've checked with Holley and BLP, no luck...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Tweak the secondary pump arm where it rides on the pump cam. Some times the arm will lay flat on the back side of the pump cam. Sometimes a slight curve in the arm contact area will help.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
I have an older 4500 on the shelf, bought it fairly cheap, seller said it would stick on him. The throttle shaft is worn, and very slightly twisted.
Does anyone know any company that sells replacement throttle shafts for Dominators?
I've checked with Holley and BLP, no luck...

Hmmm. BLP has them as part of their kit for the external linkage. Very nice setup.

https://blp.com/cart/index.php...info&products_id=391

Instructions (who needs them, lol)
http://blp.com/help-center2/30...linkage-installation

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
You need this item from BLP.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Sure looks like putting a minor curve in the arm is a lot easier and a bunch cheaper!

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
BLP's shaft kit fits the Quick Fuel body just fine. Their newest shaft kit has the secondary return set screw setup as part of the shaft. The other issue is usually a pump cam hopping up on the flat, not giving it help putting pressure to return the shaft. Some cam massaging or different cams will fix that.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
I thought I had the same problem. Took the cable off and problem went away. Cable had a hitch in it that was enough to make the carb stick. Tap peddle and it would return. Replaced the cable and problem was solved.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post