New
Find
Notify
Tools

turbo 400 gurus
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Have a friends car with turbo 400 with a brake, While on the brake the car will not go past 2600 rpm. This is with the 2 step unplugged from the MSD ignition. It does not pop spit or anything should seems as if the motor is laboring. After the brake is released motor revs up as normal. Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 133 | Location: ga. usa | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Torque converter is locked up at that rpm is my guess.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
Sprag is broken in the converter!

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of ytoddmalibu
posted Hide Post
I agree, broken sprage in the converter. Time to send both to your favorite trans repair shop.

Todd P

3/28/2014 RIP Juli Pasch the love of my life for ever

Posts: 29 | Location: MidMichMotorplex | Registered: December 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies - Forgot to mention it does this even in park and the brake engaged.

Posts: 133 | Location: ga. usa | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Depending on which valve body you have, the transbrake will stop the input shaft in park therefore acting as if in gear. If the converter had stall before and not it is holding down I would suspect the sprague in the converter as others have stated. I would guess the car has slowed considerably as well.

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When a convertor sprag is damaged, does the transmission get any debris from this? If so does the transmission need to be disassembled and cleaned?

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post