DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    high flow fuel regulators
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

high flow fuel regulators
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Looking for high pressure high flow (13gpm) dead head fuel regulator.
Needs to be compatible with alcohol.
I found a Weldon that is close (A20407)
If I can get a tad more flow I will not need any sort of pump saver return after the pump.
Since I started this post I reread the info on the Weldon pump and it is a return style regulator as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce Williams,

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
Bruce,
I use a MagnaFuel #9833 Big port regulator on my 582 1060 H/P engine in my Corvette seems to work just fine.
IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
bruce i have found that the aeromotive regulators are top notch,we have used them on efi with belt drive and eaectric pumps at high pressure.they have very stable delivery

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

No way you can put a fitting in the tank and run a return style regulator?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Problem with a return style regulator is it lowers the pressure on the inlet side as well.
I need high pressure at the pump and lower pressure down the line.
I almost purchased the Weldon A20407 but discovered I missed the large print stating it was a return style.

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Why do you need such high pressure? This is on a carb I'm assuming?

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Why do you need such high pressure? This is on a carb I'm assuming?

No carbs Vern.
I can't just be content with anything.
I have a blown BBC with EFI.
Injectors are too small. To get bigger EFI injectors is over 2K.
Trying to make port nozzles with MFI which need higher pressure that changes with RPM.
My thought is to come off of pump to distribution block for MFI port nozzles.
After that hit the dead head regulator which will feed EFI injectors in the hat.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Okay I get it now. Good luck, try not to pull a Blake and tear it up. LOL Big Grin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bruce,
How high you trying to go? I ran a aeromotive mechanic pump and this regulator https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/...e-flow-efi-regulator .

Posts: 411 | Location: Highland,Ca | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 790G T/D:
Bruce,
How high you trying to go? I ran a aeromotive mechanic pump and this regulator https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/...e-flow-efi-regulator .

That is a return style regulator so the pressure on the inlet side is going to be the constant of what it is set at.
I'm trying to do a "blend" of EFI on the hat and MFI on the ports.
To make the MFI work you need a variable pressure tied to the engine RPM.
The only way I can see to obtain that is to run a dead head regulator which will keep the pump pressure high before the regulator.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing your running 16 injectors already and have raised the fuel pressure on the existing set to make it push more fuel.
Maybe Greg Kelly or seabass will chime in.

Posts: 411 | Location: Highland,Ca | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm confused why you need a 13 gpm regulator. Assuming you're running about 50% through the hat, 13 gpm to the hat would be north if 3000 hp. Are you really making that much steam?

Maybe you could run a regulator to each side of the hat if you're having trouble finding one with enough flow.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
I'm confused why you need a 13 gpm regulator. Assuming you're running about 50% through the hat, 13 gpm to the hat would be north if 3000 hp. Are you really making that much steam?

Maybe you could run a regulator to each side of the hat if you're having trouble finding one with enough flow.

Good idea on two regulators.
I have upgraded from a -1 pump to the 13gpm
Not making 3000HP,, yet!!
The whole idea was to try and have the clean idle from EFI and then be able to pour the fuel at WOT for the big HP.
With the EFI and return regulator in the hat the return regulator acts as a pump sizer allowing the use of the larger pump at a lower HP.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So you want a return or not? youve talked about a dead head regulator and a return regulator acting as a pump sizer. Are you running 2 regulators? Do you have any poppets or pills anywhere?

Based on what you've said I'm guessing you're making about 1200 hp. Without looking at anything I'm thinking that should be something like 4 gpm going to the hat at WOT. Where does the 13 gpm regulator go? Are you not going to run a return poppet on the Mfi port nozzles?

If you're trying to completely deadhead an mfi pump with no returns at all I don't think it's going to work. Has nothing to do with the regulator flow, it's the fact that the pump will be making 400 psi at some point.

Just for reference, I ran a 12 gpm pump on a motor that needed about 1.5 gpm last year and it worked fine with a pump sizer. I had to run really small nozzles to get the pressure up, but even going from ~20 psi to ~70 psi at WOT it didn't really make much difference in performance.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
BJ I'm currently running a return style regulator after the EFI injectors, Set at 45 psi at idle. Pressure goes up to 70 psi with boost reference at WOT.
Injectors go to 100% duty cycle a soon as you go to WOT.
I can not enrichen the AFR below 5.7 regardless of MAP and VE tables. EGTS are in the high 1200-low 1300 at WOT
Two possibilities are insufficient fuel volume or too small of injector or combo of both.
So first step is the larger fuel pump. Return style regulator is capable of returning excess fuel from new pump.
If this is successful I will move on to next step.
Install dead head regulator (If I can find what I need) before EFI injectors with pressure set in the 90-100 psi range. In front of dead head reg line to electronic enrichment valve that is activated at % of TPS. This valve has a pill holder before port distribution blocks.
IF I can get a dead head regulator that will handle high pressure and the flow I need it will allow a high variable fuel pressure to the port nozzles like MFI an will provide a manageable fuel pressure and return to the EFI injectors.
If that works I will be able to increase boost and keep up with fuel requirements.
Crazy huh?!!

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
a highger fuel pressure will lower the percentage as you are thinking,if the bypass you are using wont allow you to raise the pressure it sounds as though you need more pump.if that is what you already said ,i agree.lol

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
You said it has 1200* EGT and running lean. What are you basing that on? The reason I ask is mine was stupid fat at 1200* and would only run when I got over 1300. How did it run? What did plugs look like?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3979 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
You said it has 1200* EGT and running lean. What are you basing that on? The reason I ask is mine was stupid fat at 1200* and would only run when I got over 1300. How did it run? What did plugs look like?

Basing off the EGT for lean condition plus the 100% duty cycle on the injectors.
Spark plugs are on the lean side but no specs or aluminum.
Just trying to be careful before I try more boost.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bruce, thanks for sharing, interesting setup for sure.

I wonder if, instead of a dead head regulator you could just use a constant flow restriction (pill). The goal if I understand it, is to create a pressure drop between the ports and the efi system. If you just put a pill betweeen the two you would accomplish this. Obviously figuring out the pill size would take some thought and the pressure drop would be dependent on flow to the hat.

Otherwise it looks like fuel lab might be a place worth calling. They don't have exactly what you need but the 555 looks pretty close and maybe it could be modified.

Also you could just run 2 pumps...

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
BJ yes a pressure drop between the ports and EFI.
Yes a separate pump is also an option.
I have been in contact with the fuel lab tech people as well.
While they have a regulator that can withstand 65 PSI it flows less than 2 GPM.
Pill restriction is an idea I have not thought of. It would be a pretty large pill. You would have to figure area of all EFI injectors so pill can flow EFI injector requirements.
A pump saver poppit would be a good idea as well.

Bruce Lee Cool