DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Strip Takers/extenders
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strip Takers/extenders
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mr Bill
posted
I have a 57 chevy with a full fiberglass front clip , and it can either tilt or be taken off. If I race along I need to tilt the front clip to access the engine. I am interested in a method to easily to remove the extender . so I would be interested in seeing pictures of methods for attachment to fiberglass. Also I know some track do not allow them so it needs to be easily removed for that reason also.

Mr Bill

Posts: 40 | Location: Flint, MI | Registered: October 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Had one on my Corvette roadster that had two Dzus fasteners. That is what I would suggest.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Why would a track not allow them? The rule book has limits on front end length off the center line of the front wheels. If u have a short front end why wouldnt u be able to run one? Anyways 2 dzus’s sounds good to me.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rymo:
Why would a track not allow them? The rule book has limits on front end length off the center line of the front wheels.

I had the same belief as you, but I just took a run through the rulebook (working hard today!) and I don't know that you can pull any specific section out of it that clearly defines what we call a stripe taker would be legal.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I think it's minimum 3" off the ground, and 30" max in front of the spindle unless the car nose is longer than that stock.It also can't be movable by the driver.
Other than that, There is nothing remotely illegal about a stripe taker.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 23taltered:
I think it's minimum 3" off the ground, and 30" max in front of the spindle unless the car nose is longer than that stock.It also can't be movable by the driver.
Other than that, There is nothing remotely illegal about a stripe taker.

There are mentions of overhangs and front spoilers, but not some weird fin that protrudes forward of that.

I've always thought of a stripe taker as something that just gives a nice, clean front edge from 3-12" off the ground but doesn't protrude forward of the bumper/bodywork itself.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch of good reasons to have a stripe taker and only one reason not to. Appearance

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rymo:
Why would a track not allow them? The rule book has limits on front end length off the center line of the front wheels. If u have a short front end why wouldnt u be able to run one? Anyways 2 dzus’s sounds good to me.

Ryan at the divisional at New England Dragway last year Div 1 made everyone that had a removable stripe taker remove them. If it was made into the nose it could stay on,nobody was given a good reason why they had to remove it.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mr Bill
posted Hide Post
would you have a picture you can share

quote:
Originally posted by Rob7181:
Had one on my Corvette roadster that had two Dzus fasteners. That is what I would suggest.

Posts: 40 | Location: Flint, MI | Registered: October 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have one and have it on adjustable tension hinges found on Amazon. To keep it up or down. 1. I can just reach under and fold it flat for loading and unloading the car. Or 2. put it down last minute, not last second Wink 3. if it hits something like the first one that was held tight of sheet metal it will fold and not get damaged.

Made my last one out of a thin plastic cutting board (walmart). I keep about 5 of them in the shop for various things they are a great tough material.

Reason I use one is my corvette nose to spoiler causes inconsistency if I am on or off the brakes. $10k finals round several years ago - on brakes hard and ran fastest run of the day with .001 breakout....lightbulb went on about halfway home what occurred. Ran one ever since.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
I have one and have it on adjustable tension hinges found on Amazon. To keep it up or down. 1. I can just reach under and fold it flat for loading and unloading the car. Or 2. put it down last minute, not last second Wink 3. if it hits something like the first one that was held tight of sheet metal it will fold and not get damaged.

Made my last one out of a thin plastic cutting board (walmart). I keep about 5 of them in the shop for various things they are a great tough material.

Reason I use one is my corvette nose to spoiler causes inconsistency if I am on or off the brakes. $10k finals round several years ago - on brakes hard and ran fastest run of the day with .001 breakout....lightbulb went on about halfway home what occurred. Ran one ever since.

If I hit the brakes HARD halfway though the traps I will pickup at least .02 ET and almost 2mph with my 3rd Gen F Bodies!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:

If I hit the brakes HARD halfway though the traps I will pickup at least .02 ET and almost 2mph with my 3rd Gen F Bodies!

Thats the reason my 3rd gen hasnt been raced in a year and a half. I’ve tried many different stripe takers, but with the front end travel needed to make my car work, I still couldnt get it to consistently trip the beams the same wide open or on the brakes.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:

Thats the reason my 3rd gen hasnt been raced in a year and a half. I’ve tried many different stripe takers, but with the front end travel needed to make my car work, I still couldnt get it to consistently trip the beams the same wide open or on the brakes.

If you make the stripe taker to the front, and same depth back to the spoiler, I don't see what you wouldn't get good results. Mine is at the way back to the spoiler under the car as one solid piece. No way the bean can't get tripped.

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
Ski, the problem i’ve had is if I make the beam breaker as low as I can get it at rest, when under acceleration its still taller than the 5.5-6” of the finish line beam and wont trip it. I even experimented with a couple that were lower than legal and got it low enough it was tripping the stage beams when rolling forward to stage. The bottom edge of the ground effects on front of my 92 camaro is 4.75-5” off the ground at rest so it doesn’t allow much room for a very long beam breaker.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
Ski, the problem i’ve had is if I make the beam breaker as low as I can get it at rest, when under acceleration its still taller than the 5.5-6” of the finish line beam and wont trip it. I even experimented with a couple that were lower than legal and got it low enough it was tripping the stage beams when rolling forward to stage. The bottom edge of the ground effects on front of my 92 camaro is 4.75-5” off the ground at rest so it doesn’t allow much room for a very long beam breaker.

Mine is very close to the same.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mr Bill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have one and have it on adjustable tension hinges found on Amazon. To keep it up or down. 1. I can just reach under and fold it flat for loading and unloading the car. Or 2. put it down last minute, not last second Wink 3. if it hits something like the first one that was held tight of sheet metal it will
fold and not get damaged.

Reason I use one is my corvette nose to spoiler causes inconsistency if I am on or off the brakes. $10k finals round several years ago - on brakes hard and ran fastest run of the day with .001 breakout....lightbulb went on about halfway
home what occurred. Ran one ever since.

Ski, would you happen to have a pic you can share?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not to derail,kind of related. Ironic that read this and that afternoon found a rule for Nostalgia 7.0 class that allows 40" nose instead of std 30.Curiousity be a problem,I had to see how much difference. According to my math(normally good,but hey) its worth about .026 in quarter.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
According to my math(normally good,but hey) its worth about .026 in quarter.

That might be true at walking speed.

At 170 mph, 10" is worth a little more than .003.

Tony Leonard

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Lenny, you do great math by the way, what about at 90 mph in the 1/8th? Got me a plan going for something SLOW.
Thanks,
You coming down for the $50K and $20K at CFMP?

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post