DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Recommendations for OBDII scan tool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for OBDII scan tool
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
I need to upgrade my scan tool capabilities. I have a Tech 1 and a Snap On Brick but I can only go to Pre CAN OBDII 2006. I'm not going to use it to make a living just my own vehicles, right now Ford GM and Chrysle/Jeep. I'd like to keep it cheap. What brands and models do you own or have experience with that are worth owning? I see Harbor Freight sells Zurich and the other brands I've seen are Foxwell, Ancel, Autel and Innova. Anyone have any experience with any of these? If I get in to a real problem I do have access to a friend's Snap On Modis.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
I need to upgrade my scan tool capabilities. I have a Tech 1 and a Snap On Brick but I can only go to Pre CAN OBDII 2006. I'm not going to use it to make a living just my own vehicles, right now Ford GM and Chrysle/Jeep. I'd like to keep it cheap. What brands and models do you own or have experience with that are worth owning? I see Harbor Freight sells Zurich and the other brands I've seen are Foxwell, Ancel, Autel and Innova. Anyone have any experience with any of these? If I get in to a real problem I do have access to a friend's Snap On Modis.

Save the headaches and just borrow the SnapOn when you need it. More than likely you will not even need anything more than a code reader to find the problem.

Everything out there now days needs software updated often.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3 | Location: northeast | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
the autel is by far the best low cost scanner possible! and the updates are the cheapest and you dont have to update every year but for 500$ you up date it and extend the warranty! it is much better than the snap on scanner

Posts: 12 | Location: maryland | Registered: August 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
As a side note. With running laptop diagnostics.
Say for example Ford F series chassis with international power. It supports various other engine lines The Software is free.. I think it is a one time License fee. All you have to do is purchase the USB link specific to work with this software. This is a money saver not having to Purchase Ford software. This is proprietary for
Ford chassis with International Engines.

https://www.forscan.org/download.html

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use the Launch brand. It gives me live running readings from the ECM and status from sensors. I got it directly from Launch and it was reasonable priced.

Posts: 293 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you own one of these? That's stupid cheap for something that can stream live data.
I'm not looking to go back to fixing cars for a living, just be able to scan and diagnose my own junk.
As far as borrowing a scanner it's available to me but I've run into problems where I need more than to just read a code and I don't want to tie up their piece of equipment. Not looking to make a big investment.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a wifi dongle that plugs into the OBDII port, then I connect to it with my phone. This is the one I have: Amazon link.

I use an app called FourStroke with it that is free to read and clear codes, but I think was about a $5 upgrade to unlock all of the sensors. It can read and reset check engine light codes, view emissions readiness, live stream sensor data, data log sensors, and it stores sensor snapshot data when a check engine light comes on.

I’m sure it’s not as powerful as a professional unit a shop would have but I’ve diagnosed everything I’ve needed to with it. I keep one in each car, for under $20 they’re definitely worth it!

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you're not familiar with Scotty Kilmer he is a pretty knowledgable guy on daily drivers and has a number of vids addressing different scanners. I don't have links to specific recommendations but it might be worth you time to scan his vids for good reviews. ps. He doesn't accept money or advertisers for his site.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ScottyKilmermechanic/videos

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at Autel AL619 AL629 or a Launch CRP123 Anyone have any experience with these?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
the autel,ms906 bt is all you need

Posts: 12 | Location: maryland | Registered: August 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack but does anyone know if anyone of these will do the GM 'TECH II' functions? I have a 2009 Yukon and my regular code reader will read all of the engine OBDII codes but you need a separate TECH II scanner for airbag & suspension diagnostics.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jumpn1:
the autel,ms906 bt is all you need

I'm sure it is, just $900 over budget.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have the BlueDriver, it works for me. Might not be fancy enough for what you need but I just use it to read the codes and clear them.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
Not to hijack but does anyone know if anyone of these will do the GM 'TECH II' functions? I have a 2009 Yukon and my regular code reader will read all of the engine OBDII codes but you need a separate TECH II scanner for airbag & suspension diagnostics.

Tech II is GM's Dealer's scan tool name. The tools I have been looking at will scan ABS and the SRS (air Bag) systems. I don't know about suspension controls. The companies that make these scan tools are selling worldwide. Their web sites suck for information. trying to compare brands and their features is really hard to do. I was hoping to find someone that owned them to get their input. The one thing I can say about the difference between brands is Autel actually has a phone # you can call and talk to someone. Not just that but the person is in Port Washington, NY. So far that's my biggest reason to look at their scanner.

DRR Trophy
Picture of bracketracer-78
posted Hide Post
I have a Foxwell tech 2 scanner. I think i paid $175.00 for it a few months ago. It works fine for me. It will do the ABS and airbags and more.

Posts: 141 | Location: Stevens, PA | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bracketracer-78:
I have a Foxwell tech 2 scanner. I think i paid $175.00 for it a few months ago. It works fine for me. It will do the ABS and airbags and more.

Got a model #? What years does it cover?

DRR Trophy
Picture of bracketracer-78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:
Originally posted by bracketracer-78:

Got a model #? What years does it cover?

I have used it on my kids S10 and my daughter's Nissan. It is supposed to cover all 1996 to present. After I got it I had to register it with the manufacturer and they gave me a link to update the software annually for free. It is a Foxwell NT630 plus.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bracketracer-78,

Posts: 141 | Location: Stevens, PA | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post