Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What conventional head on a 582
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What conventional head on a 582
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
The short block is already assembled, 15.1 compression, .850 lift. Need the best bang for the buck. Would the 3X oval be a good option or is there something else that is comparable in price that would make more power?

Jack's Race Shop
apdracing.com

Posts: 29 | Location: Pikeville KY | Registered: March 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
BB-3 XTRA O 365

O'IT!

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

Support our President! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

< FOR SALE v

Posts: 9389 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I used a CFE (BMF Series) 385 that had the combustion chambers reduced to 114 cc. I am very happy with the results.

Bob

Posts: 2089 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
A little more info would help making a proper suggestion for you.
cu. in.
rpm
hp needed/wanted
chamber cc's to maintain your 15to1 compression
what's the engine going in
ect

Dave

I'm looking for a BBC blower manifold to buy

Living to serve mankind....

Posts: 3130 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Pretty happy with my 385's. 598/632. If you do go this route and conventional rockers (Non Shaft)
Make sure you do the girdle from from them. CFE/BMF
The girdle is made specific for that head. Those BMF sure went up in price. ouch!!!! I see now they pulled the pricing. Have to request info.

Posts: 359 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
cu. in.
rpm
hp needed/wanted
ect

He asked which heads for a 582, and your first question is how many cubic inches?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 2389 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Head Hunters will make 1050+ on a 582

Posts: 1479 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It is ran like most other typical BBC's, converter flash is 6200, shift at 7300. Going in a 4 link dragster. The BMF is a bit pricy, the 3X oval is what I'm wanting just haven't ran them on an engine like this.

Jack's Race Shop
apdracing.com

Posts: 29 | Location: Pikeville KY | Registered: March 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Kutsick
posted Hide Post
I am also currently building a 582 and will be using the CFE BMF385`s and shaft rockers. I have seen them in action and liked what I saw.

No Box Bracket Challenge 2018

Posts: 558 | Location: Lenox MI | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
385cc intake runners are too big for a n/a 582 bracket engine operating under 8000 RPM IF optimal performance is the goal.

O'IT!

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

< FOR SALE v

Posts: 9389 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ran 5.11 in 2350 pound door car with Dart 355 with a carb, so I think with a better head it would definitely perform. Sniper x or Headhunter would probably be good choice.

Posts: 38 | Location: Peterman, AL | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
brodix headhunter 383

Posts: 327 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
My pick is Trick Flow Power Port 365’s on my 565 it makes 1040esh hp on gas.

Blaster Chemical Co.
www.abruzziracing.com
www.moserengineering.com
www.houseofpayneperformance.com
WiredTwoWin race car wiring
J & J Performance
Trick Flow Specialties

Posts: 2439 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
cu. in.
rpm
hp needed/wanted
ect

He asked which heads for a 582, and your first question is how many cubic inches?

Sorry I missed the 582 in the title Tony...

So I'll rephrase my questions...

rpm
hp needed/wanted
ect

OP, I apologize if me asking, apparently unnecessarily a 2nd time, what size the engine is, confused you also.

Maybe Tony can make a suggestion for you while he's here....

Dave

I'm looking for a BBC blower manifold to buy

Living to serve mankind....

Posts: 3130 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It has to be 117cc to keep the 15.1, 119cc may be a better option, it's on alky (APD 1150), with the darts I was never too impressed with its performance. Changed intake from Merlin to brodix, 60ft was from 1.11 (Brodix) 5.30@131 to 1.17 (Merlin) 5.29@136. Tried 2 different known converters for very similar combinations, ATI, and Abruzzi. Both et were identical with the converter swap. This was in my 2500lbs door car. Also tried 1150 Bob Book gas, 1050 APD gas, and the 1150 APD alky, very consistent with every combination, just not fast?

Jack's Race Shop
apdracing.com

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bones427
posted Hide Post
I'm building a 582 now, with sniper x 375's , got a buddy made 1011hp on a 572, another friends has 582 with the trick flows 365 1060hp, seen 582 build on yb 10.5 comp. with sniper x made 1020hp

Posts: 18 | Location: streetsboro.oh | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Kutsick
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has the bmf385`s on a 582 that wasn`t dynoed, but in a 2400lb car is running 4.90`s so far.

No Box Bracket Challenge 2018

Posts: 558 | Location: Lenox MI | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
the 582 that I ran in my dragster for the 2015 season had the head I recommended above and ran a best of 7.15 on gas at Atco in September of that year at the bracket finals.

O'IT!

< FOR SALE v

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Allen what are your cam specs? I just went through this on my 582, every cam grinder that I spoke with recommended a camshaft with lots of duration, I didn't agree with the extra duration, but i figured they do this everyday so I bought one from a well known company. Results....we're just as u described, lazy and would not run....I swapped everything as you described, I pulled cam out mid season and replaced with cam with about same lift just less duration on intake and exhaust. ....problem solved...582 dart 355 head, ran 5.11 in 90 degree heat, would have ran 5.0's with ease in good weather but never got to run it. Just a thought

Posts: 38 | Location: Peterman, AL | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
cam grinders are the last guys you want to get a cam recommendation from and most everyone runs a cam that has too much duration for optimum ETs.

O'IT!

< FOR SALE v