DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Suggestions on BBC Lifter Bore grooving
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions on BBC Lifter Bore grooving
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
So my understanding of grooving the lifter bores is to try and get some extra oil dripped on the cam lobes. This sounds like a decent idea - are there any downsides to doing this?

I know there is at least one tool for performing the groove cutting - other than accuracy in the cut would there be any difference in simply grinding a small groove in the bottom of the lifter bore?

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Are you running flat tappets?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
no- solid roller

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have the tool Goodson sells to groove the lifter bores. IMO it a pain to work with. The only engines I have done are flat tappet stuff for dirt trackers. The idle oil pressure went down a little bit on all of them I did. I have never used it on a roller engine. I stopped using the tool years ago when lifters started coming with oil holes made into the lifter.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
no- solid roller

You don't need them. Only creates more windage

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
no- solid roller

You don't need them. Only creates more windage

I agree with Mark.
A roller cam lobe needs no supplemental lubrication. Your biggest concern in that area, is getting sufficient oil to the needle bearings in the roller wheels. All good roller lifters have pressurized oil feed passages to lube the roller bearings.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post