DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    M/T Tires and Rim Screws?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M/T Tires and Rim Screws?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted
When I get new M/T tires they never leak or loose air (I miss Ed LOL) until I put rim screws in. Is there a trick I don't know, or is there a shorter rim screw out there somewhere?

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I put about 20PSI in the tires, and dab some silicone on the screws before I run them in.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Screws?!!!

NahNahTounge Falling of chair laughing

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Specialty Fasteners used to carry 5/8 screws. I put small hard plastic washers under the screws to shorten up.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have had exactly the same experience. Moved M/T's to wheels with screws and the leaks started. I am reading with interest the solutions posted. (I tried running without screws, and they rotated about an inch per run.)

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Mark, thanks for the tip - I called Specialty but they only carry standard length rim screws. They did suggest trying a small AN washer under the screw head. If there isn't a better answer, I think I will try that.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Black&Blue
posted Hide Post
Part #90286a293 from Mcmaster Carr. #12 5/8 long stainless steel box of 50 for $6.54. Been using them for about 18 years.

Posts: 6 | Location: Bloomsburg | Registered: January 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Yup, been there…I ground the sharp tips off, reground tip more blunt, bought washers w/ the same dia. as head but they are real thin - you would need to stack 3 to make a diff. so I didn't use those. I siliconed all the screws and guess what??? they still leak down!!!! Switched back to Hoosiers, still hard since Feb.

Posts: 254 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'd say power level makes a difference. I've rum MT's with no screws and had 1 move around on the im and 1 stay in place. I broke them down, cleaned the beads with brakekleen and then sprayed hairspray around the bead. Never moved again.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s my experience using the same Bogart wheels from 1992 that came on my car. Goodyear tires have the widest beads and don’t leak with 3/4” long screws. Hoosiers are the next widest and I used a 5/8” screw with these. With the two sets of MT I had I ended up with the 5/8 screw with a 0.90 thick hard plastic washer behind to keep from going thru the bead. Didn’t help, they still leaked.

These very light Bogart wheels on my car are beat up and won’t hold a tire from moving on the rim without screws. I have no problem with that. But I do have a problem if I need to keep jack stands under the rear axle if not monitoring every 7 days.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Havent put a screw in a rim since I started using Permatex high tack. Slicks don't move on my 3000lb low 9 second Dart at all.

Posts: 1558 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago a tech/ former Super Stock racer at a Goodyear shop was mounting some new slicks for me. He pulled out my old screws, begged me to not put them back in. He also tossed the inner tubes. He wiped a thin smear of butyl rubber in the rims, on the bead mounting surfaces. (The same stuff that windshield installers use to seal new glass). Tires did not move at all. Haven't used screws (or tubes) since then.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
No screws and the tires don't slip. 2975lbs best 60 ft was a 1.24...

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
Permatex high tack here also. Have to leave it set up a day or two. Never had in move more than 1/4" but were not hitt to ng the tire very hard.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Black & Blue - Thanks for the part number. I will give them a try and thanks to everyone else for all their input.... Even "Rim Screws?" LOL....