DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Strange Ultra struts are they worth it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Ultra struts are they worth it?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Kutsick
posted
I am building a new tube chassis and looking to take advantage of the black friday deals. I have narrowed it down to either the ultra struts pss200 or the aluminum double adjustable PSS105DBL. What do the internet gurus on hear think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kutsick,

Posts: 526 | Location: Couch | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The two are most different by the spindle type. The ultra strut is Anglia spindle mount (rotor bolted to wheel) and the other, while it comes complete, uses a proprietary mix of bearings (maybe Camaro or Nova) and has conventional brake rotors on the hub. Guy called me wanting a set of economy struts so I sent the 105's, then called to tell me he found a great deal on spindle mount wheels so he wanted to go that route. There's a big jump in money to go that route so he paid a chunk to swap.
Good luck,
BW

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Kutsick
posted Hide Post
Sorry but I dont understand your post. There both for spindle mount wheels. The 105`s are double adustable and the ultras are not.

Posts: 526 | Location: Couch | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You are correct. I checked my notes and yes a 105 is DA but so is a PSS205 ultra. The product decsription on the 105 tells the story that it requires a wheel for that Strange spindle. The 205 (ultra) uses the Anglia spindle. I cannot give you any specific differences in the quality or the valving spec but at $1475 difference, there ought to be some improvements.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If I was you , I would give Randy Manns at Fast Shocks , an ask his opinion. He rebuilds all of the drag shocks . He did wonders with my old strange struts for my SS car . I think he is a Strange Engineering dealer also . He is a honest man and a straight shooter .

Posts: 14 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Kutsick
posted Hide Post
After talking to my chassis build, I went with the 105dbl`s and used the Strange Engineering black Friday discount.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kutsick:
After talking to my chassis build, I went with the 105dbl`s and used the Strange Engineering black Friday discount.

Hope that guy doesn't steer you wrong.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Do you already have wheels? And hopefully not Anglia spindle mount.
BW