Find
Notify
Tools

Class a diesel
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Bailey
posted
I am looking at an older class a diesel pusher with a Cummins engine, freightliner chassis and a Onan 6500 LP generator. I like everything I see except the propane generator. Everyone I know uses the diesel generator and most, but not all, say to stay away from the propane. This unit is not set in stone for me, but the price is right and I would like to know the pro's and con's of a LP unit. The generator itself has only 63 hours on it, but I did not start and run it. Should I keep looking or is the LP something that could work. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posts: 34 | Location: texas | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Keep looking.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it’s a good enough deal pick up a 3k or 7k Honda.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I Hate Dragsters

Posts: 329 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike B.
The single biggest factor is propane supply.
Usually about 48 hours, the a re-fill or hook up to a spare tank.
These MH's were done this way to keep the price in line.
Nothing wrong with the generator, just keeping it supplied with propane.

Posts: 195 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
PM sent.....

Posts: 1479 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had the same combo for over 10 years. My biggest gripe was the generator. I ended up putting a bigger gas generator in my trailer and ran the coach off of it. I got the keyless remote start generator and was the best investment I made at that time. Good luck with what ever choice you make.

Posts: 24 | Location: Pen Argyl, PA | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My 1st MH had a LP generator on it.
The only thing it takes to change to gas is a pump, carb, and fuel line as well as a fuel supply tank. I used a 30 gallon boat tank... Which i actually have a new one at home..

Rick Huffman
Accelerated Graphics
Why was everyone Kung Fu Fighting?

Posts: 631 | Location: Burleson TX | Registered: January 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Bailey
posted Hide Post
I have a class c now that I tow with. I use a trailer toad and run the mh off of a Honda generator that is mounted on the trailer when I'm towing down the road. The gas generator on the mh works fine, but uses a lot of fuel.

Posts: 34 | Location: texas | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Bailey
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm going to pass on the coach with the LP gen set. It was listed as a Cummins with a 330, just found out it is the 275 hp Cummins. That's two strikes, so guess I'll keep looking. Thanks everybody for the help.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Joey Anderson
posted Hide Post
Being you live in Texas, I would keep an eye on PPLmotorhomes.com. They have some good deals I think. Good luck!

Posts: 66 | Location: Glennville GA | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Bailey
posted Hide Post
That's where I found the last one Joey, at PPL motorhomes over in Cleburne Texas

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Funny, I'm in NJ and when I was looking it seemed like all of the ones I was interested in were in Texas! I used RVT.com & rvtrader.com but ultimately found mine on Craigslist. There is a website called searchtempest.com that lets you search a specified mile radius on Craigslist instead of just searching the local areas that Craiglist offers - I found a nice clean, low mileage, one-owner 2004 DP just 80 miles from my house using that site.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 216 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
my old Monaco cant carry enough propane for weekend had to make adapter and take spare bottles id go for diesel

Posts: 8 | Location: tx | Registered: November 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bailey:
Looks like I'm going to pass on the coach with the LP gen set. It was listed as a Cummins with a 330, just found out it is the 275 hp Cummins. That's two strikes, so guess I'll keep looking. Thanks everybody for the help.

At Least I know when you do find one I will have a place to sleep Big Grin . I will be easy to find, just look for the guy sleeping on the air matress in his trailer between all the Toters in the TD section lol

Posts: 466 | Location: On the the dark side now | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post