Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum pump
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Your top vacuum pumps are Moroso and Star. I have a customer with a SBF that i built and he runs a GZ pump. 800 HP on alcohol and 19 inches of vacuum on the crankcase. My 706 runs a Star pump at 18 inches of vacuum. If you want to run a Moroso pump, run a 4 vane.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
When I worked at the racecar shop, we sold Aerospace, Moroso and Star vacuum pumps. I am about as low buck as it comes for my racing program. Nothing flashy, everything just serves it's purpose. I saved and splurged on a Star pump. I like that he is local, his product is Made in the USA and he has outstanding customer service.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
So my GZ pump that I ran for 11 years pulls 17 inches of vacuum on my old motor I ran for years. My brand new Moroso is pulling 9 on one motor and other motor with brand new Moroso is about 12 inches of vacuum. Both are new, tight motors. The one pulling 9 inches was on the dyno and may get a little better as motor gets broke in better. That motor has not been down the track yet.
And I have never done anything with my GZ pump just run heck out of it. I do not care what Ediots say that is pretty good.

Why did I try the Moroso? Simple I got two brand new ones for free. Sure worth a try at that price. And I think the Moroso looks nicer but so far performance sure has not been as good. No matter how good they perform I doubt they will last as long as my GZ did.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
You have a vacuum leak. Possibly around distributor, valve cover gaskets or someplace else.

Wrong.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Of course he’s wrong, he’s a clueless jerk off that thinks he knows, now thinks he knows more than every professional sportsman engine builder in the country of which 99.9% use a Moroso vacuum pump on their engines and not one uses GZ Junk!

He’s not even a bracket rscer, rather an index club racer where a .100 bulb is killing it! Laughing very hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Of course he’s wrong, he’s a clueless jerk off that thinks he knows, now thinks he knows more than every professional sportsman engine builder in the country of which 99.9% use a Moroso vacuum pump on their engines and not one uses GZ Junk!

He’s not even a bracket rscer, rather an index club racer where a .100 bulb is killing it! Laughing very hard

At least he's in the seat actually racing, Not a has-been nobody tire wiper.... Laughing Hard

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

At least he's in the seat actually racing, Not a has-been nobody tire wiper.... Laughing Hard

"Has-been tire wiper" More like a never was and a boot licker.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:
Had a GZ originally, hated it. Could not get the damn thing to stop leaking. Sent it back to be rebuilt and still leaked everywhere. I agree with Ed, OEM repurposed junk.

quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
I agree the GZ stuff is cheap and crap.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
And they are big and ugly too, especially the pulley.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
You do not like GZ pump then do not buy one. Does not change fact mine has worked very well for over 10 years with out a single problem. Still pulls more vacuum than both of my new Moroso units.

The real problem here is your immature insecurities that you can not stand it if everyone does not follow everything you say. When others realize that you do not know as much as you THINK you do.

You are getting older and afraid you will never amount to anything. Well I hate to tell you this but at 50 + years old if you are still 5'4" and worthless do not expect that to change. And living Vicariously through your Son is not the same as you being able to do anything.

Why do you care what pump or tire or anything else others use? Not your money or any of your business.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
clueless jerk off that thinks he knows, now thinks he knows more than every professional sportsman engine builder in the country of which 99.9% use a Moroso vacuum pump on their engines and not one uses GZ Junk!

He’s not even a bracket racer, rather an index club racer where a .100 bulb is killing it! Laughing very hard

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
clueless jerk off that thinks he knows, now thinks he knows more than every professional sportsman engine builder in the country of which 99.9% use a Moroso vacuum pump on their engines and not one uses GZ Junk!

He’s not even a bracket racer, rather an index club racer where a .100 bulb is killing it! Laughing very hard

BUT, at least he's racing....brackets or index doesn't have a fuc'n thing to do with it bonehead

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I like my moroso. I like the gz that's on my son's car. Both working as they should.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:
Had a GZ originally, hated it. Could not get the damn thing to stop leaking. Sent it back to be rebuilt and still leaked everywhere. I agree with Ed, OEM repurposed junk.

quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
I agree the GZ stuff is cheap and crap.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
And they are big and ugly too, especially the pulley.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
On the dragster, we had a Moroso 4-vane. On my Nova, I have a Star and my buddies Mopar I drive every once and awhile has a GZ. All 3 do the job, no worries.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Tom Reyer.......KNOWS

Dave

F J B