DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Troy Morgan - Larry Woodfin Super 10 project
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Troy Morgan - Larry Woodfin Super 10 project
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
The Super 10 was originally built for NHRA Super Stock racing. The GT classes are older engine combination is a newer body. In the case of the Super 10, a 1965 327/300 horse in a 1997 Chevy S-10. Running off a 10.85 index it ran as fast as 10.39. After attending and qualifying for four Lucas races, I pulled the plug on class racing and began bracket racing the super stock package. The 2017 season was successful but bracket racing a super stock 327, shifting at 8800 is not the best situation. At seasons end I removed the super stocker engine with the intentions of building a bracket race engine for the 2018 season.

Enter Troy Morgan

You will recall we posted a series about Troy Morgans Monte Carlo. The project has been a solid winner all during the 2017 season. It is a fast, dependable footbrake racer that has performed very well. Plus, it looks great, a classic style that will always be attractive.

Troy told me even while the Super 10 was under construction, "if you decided to sell, I want it" Troy knows me well, it is my history to build a project, race it successfully, then move on to another.

So we begin, the Morgan/Woodfin Super 10 project. Stay tuned as we transform the Super 10 into a 5.80's electronics package.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Larry, Looking forward to following the changes to your original build.

For those that did not see this build it starts
[URL= https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...567093666]HERE[/URL]

Posts: 2435 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Cool,the builds have been interesting to follow. Thanks for sharing

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I too will be looking forward to this bracket motor build. It might be something I might try to emulate. Big Grin

Posts: 397 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: May 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting up pics and details of your builds. I've got an old not so super ten that I've threatened to build, those pics (especially of the backhalf and 'chassis table') are a lot of help.
How do you think some of the big pro bracket radials would work on the back of a 'super 10'?

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Some beginning notes about the engine build;

*Dart SHP Pro block. This is the Dart block with big block cam size journals and .903 lifters.

*Methanol fuel

*The heads will be a 23* of a design yet to be decided. I am in discovery just now, am leaning toward a Brodix Track 1 X worked by Ron's Porting Service. Another possible under consideration, A Dart casting worked by HVH.

*Intake will most likely be the new Brodix BM1000

*Headers are a custom build 1 3/4" x 1 7/8" x 3 1/2"

*Stroke will be 3.80" with 6" rod

*Compression around 14:1

More soon as the process begins

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In ref to the radial tire question. Judging by the feedback of others, it is a valid option.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A few more notes;

The interior will be changed from super stock trim. The class rules required full dash, two seats, and carpet. We will change to an aluminum dash, one aluminum seat and painted floor.

It will feature;

*K & R Z Force Pro Cube

*Digital Delay switch panel with the dail-in display.

*Lightweight custom column with a removable wheel.

More soon

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Why not leave the interior in super stock form? Is there that much weight to be saved?

Posts: 33 | Location: Xenia | Registered: June 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dirt7r
posted Hide Post
^^^x2

Posts: 8 | Location: Gahanna,Oh | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Yea, alum dash and painted floor looks kinda trashy IMO... but still kinda excited to see where this goes... hopefully some minds get changed on interior.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Romeo
posted Hide Post
Man, I'd leave the interior alone! There are 2 things I regret about the way I built my Nova, 1 was the fiberglass doors (which are getting yanked this winter in favor of Steel) and cutting the factory dash out in favor of a tacky looking aluminum dash.

Jones Transmission Pumps
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA

Posts: 780 | Location: New Alexandria, Pa | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Some beginning notes about the engine build;

*Dart SHP Pro block. This is the Dart block with big block cam size journals and .903 lifters.

*Methanol fuel

*The heads will be a 23* of a design yet to be decided. I am in discovery just now, am leaning toward a Brodix Track 1 X worked by Ron's Porting Service. Another possible under consideration, A Dart casting worked by HVH.

*Intake will most likely be the new Brodix BM1000

*Headers are a custom build 1 3/4" x 1 7/8" x 3 1/2"

*Stroke will be 3.80" with 6" rod

*Compression around 14:1

More soon as the process begins

Larry, what's the ET goal?

Also take a look at All Pro's 220 SP head.

page 17...

http://www.allproheads.com/ima...017/AllProCat17W.pdf

Makes ~700HP on a 14.1 400 sbc topped with a 4150 manifold and carb. Good for a 9.72 @ 138MPH through the mufflers and a 1.27 60 foot in a 3160 lb. small tire '69 Camaro.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, that head looks like a good option, I will follow up. The ET goal is 5.80's at 3000 pounds with driver.

Most likely a 412 ci 4.155 x 3.80

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
then my advice is this is the head you want.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
and another note, Troy is "somewhat" "less heavy" than me. It may be 2950 with the driver.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted Hide Post
Please leave the stock dash in the truck atleast. If he is bracket racing only, there is no need to put an ugly flat dash in there when the stock one looks 1000 times better than any aluminum dash you could fab up and put in there! That's why we have shoe polish or digital boards. saving 15 lbs on the weight of the dash or whatever it may be isn't important in the bracket world

Posts: 70 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
agreed. That said, it was built as a super stock truck and already has the stock dash and door panels as required by class rules.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Where is the fuel tank? If you have one up front, look at a Terminator. If that is not an option, I would look really hard at putting a tunnel ram and 2 4150 alky carbs. It will get you a lot closer to your goal.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I'd leave the stock interior in the truck. Makes it look a lot cleaner (in my opinion)

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Romeo:
Man, I'd leave the interior alone! There are 2 things I regret about the way I built my Nova, 1 was the fiberglass doors (which are getting yanked this winter in favor of Steel) and cutting the factory dash out in favor of a tacky looking aluminum dash.

I had the brilliant idea to put lexan windows in my Nova. Took them back out for ones that roll up and down like a doorcar should have. Way too hot the other way. Will not put fiberglass doors on my Nova for any reason.

Also, cut the stock dash out too but I'm happy with the aluminium replacement once I had it powder coated.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post