DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dexter Axles Brake Shoe ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dexter Axles Brake Shoe ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Dexter Axles

I have 12” x 2” brake shoes on my Dexter Axles that now measure 0.140 at worst when packing the bearings.

Does someone know how thick the pad starts off at. I was told that these shoes can be run to 0.0625 before replacement.
TIA for any help/advice.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I can measure mine tonight. Brand new and haven't been installed yet.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Please do, Thanks

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I drove out to a RV center tonight that has factory Dexter replacement axle brakes. The new shoe pads measured 0.180 thick.

After reviewing the video of these replacement brake shoe pads on etrailer I had thought they looked very thin being new.

Knowing this, there’s nothing wrong with my 40k+ brakes shoes and I’m repacking the bearings and calling it done.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
In Pa. for state inspection, you are allowed down to .0625" .. So you are still good...

Posts: 81 | Location: Ringtown, Pa. | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mark, mine are only 10" drums. Shoe material measured .200 thick.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I drove out to a RV center tonight that has factory Dexter replacement axle brakes. The new shoe pads measured 0.180 thick.

After reviewing the video of these replacement brake shoe pads on etrailer I had thought they looked very thin being new.

Knowing this, there’s nothing wrong with my 40k+ brakes shoes and I’m repacking the bearings and calling it done.

I just replaced mine and notice that they were thinner also but the material certainly looked different that the old pads. Your thickness number sounds right from what I remember,, never measured them though.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I just did my 6) 12x2 along with wheel bearings. used etrailer.com and cost me about $450 for all 6 backing plates with brakes and wheel bearings.

SL...

Posts: 2101 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
I just did my 6) 12x2 along with wheel bearings. used etrailer.com and cost me about $450 for all 6 backing plates with brakes and wheel bearings.

SL...

Did you cut the drums? Replace the races or just the bearings? Need to do ours also, same as yours, 6 of them.........

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you call etrailer, they will send you the link on their website of the product they are quoting you. This is very helpful as many times they offer a full video review of the product.

Be advised that the quotes you receive when calling are for the least expensive replacement that many times is Chinese made. They do carry the more expensive product ( about 35% more in cost) and have links to these as well.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Did you cut the drums?

The biggest gain I got after replacing all of my trailer brake equipment was machining the magnet face of the drums. Huge difference on a ~12 year old trailer.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have found very little difference in cost replacing the complete assembly -backing plate ,new magnets etc , 4 bolts , 2 wires done
Worth looking into

Posts: 83 | Location: Benicia Ca | Registered: November 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post