DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ever have one of these go south on ya?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever have one of these go south on ya?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Over the past few years, I have seen and heard some guys talk about quality improvements in the goods made in China.
I don't care if they are making stuff for American corporations, I will paraphrase Obama's comment about Biden, in reference to this.
"Never underestimate Chinese manufacturing's ability to Fvck things up".
Those factories still can't make stainless steel that doesn't rust (quickly). No matter if it is a wastebasket, or a toothbrush holder.
They can't make a basic freaking screw of anything harder than cheese, they snap or spin the phillips cross out of them at the lowest torque setting on a weak screw driver.
They still can't make the simplest of LOW-Tech electronic crap that works reliably. (Go to your local Walmart, buy one of those 10-pack boxes of the little solar walkway lights. I can pretty-much guarantee 3 or 4 are DOA straight from the package. 2 or 3 more will fail within 3-4 weeks. And by next Spring, all 10 will have been tossed in the trash. 100% failure within a year). It happens at this household every d@mned year, an annual ritual every Spring, she buys another 10-pack. Roll Eyes
The corporate suits that shipped American manufacturing jobs overseas to increase their profit margins, (with blessing and enablement of MANY politicians from BOTH sides of the aisle), do not give a d@mn about quality, or customer safety. Only the almighty dollar.
Remember, those factories are the same ones that put lead paint on Baby Toys that were sent to America, and BPA in Dog Food.
Unlike some misguided folks, I harbor no ill will for the Chinese people. I despise the baztards, (corporate a-holes and politicians), that sold out our country's economy and future, to line their own pockets. And the first ones to do it, were the worst offenders. They left their competitors a choice between 2 bad options - Follow suit, or lose market share and eventually close the doors. Mad

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I had a China drum (vintage 2002) split and replaced it with a USA Dexter in 2014, just replaced the other 3 with Dexter made in USA, but they have ceased operations to move it to Mexico.
My trailer parts place has pallets and pallets of USA Dexter stocked.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Figure it out??

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4479 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
I had a China drum (vintage 2002) split and replaced it with a USA Dexter in 2014, just replaced the other 3 with Dexter made in USA, but they have ceased operations to move it to Mexico.

Hey Dave, and the name of your trailer parts supplier is... ? Smile

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:

As a side note, the brakes on my 2002 trailer were never effective at all. On either truck.
I swapped a hydraulic controller for an electronic, no difference, rewired the trailer brakes to each side pair off of a Berg box, never had action, couldn't get any spec current draw through the magnets.
Although all the components were basically trashed as if they have been working for 32,000 miles, stopping action was nil.

Installed all 4 Dexter brake assemblies and drums, brakes are now proper. Actually have to turn the gain down at times.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the name of your trailer parts supplier is.

https://www.easternmarine.com/...-drum-hub-k08-201-97

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
and the name of your trailer parts supplier is.

https://www.easternmarine.com/...-drum-hub-k08-201-97

Local trailer sales outfit, racers.
Mayes Trailer Sales in Whiteland, IN

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
It's possible the races spun in the drum and wore the ID enough to cause a wobble.
BUT most of the time the stuff burns up !
My old 22' box trailer liked to eat bearings regularly
It had 3500lb axles
I carried spares and checked the bearings at every race
My next box trailer had Nev-R-Lube bearings
Sealed cartridge style bearings pressed into the drums
I replaced them when I got that trailer and kept the old ones for on the road spares, never needed them

Trailer brakes work best when adjusted up pretty snug.....
I resurfaced my old trailers drums where the magnets energize to in a lathe

Brakes never worked worth a damn before that
By the time I got home from doing those drums the brakes grabbed so hard I ripped the stem out of a tube I had in one tire !! That rim had a crack in it and the tube was the only fix.
Cragar steel chrome rims.....IIRC

The Nev-R-Lube setup was something I never saw before but they were good. A top of the line Classic trailer and Air Stream used those bearings
They used their own drums specific to those cartridges....Dexter makes them.....Sealed like the modern front bearings on many vehicles....
I jacked the trailer up regularly to check for bearing noise or any wobble.....just like I did with my old 22' box....

Blown tires and burned up bearings and axle stubs or broken axles was really pretty common among my friends.....
Bigger axles, bearings, LT 16" tires were some big improvements.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
It's not as if maintaining a race car isn't enough trouble, but the damn trailers have to give you headaches too.

A buddy of mine races and wins in a 2019 Mustang 5.0 that he drives to the track, 120 miles each way. It runs 11.30's at over 120mph, in mid-summer Georgia heat, stock except for drag radials and a tune to run on E85. No tow vehicle, no trailer, no loading/unloading, etc. I'm having a hard time talking myself out of going the same route.

Been thinking about buying a used C5 or C6 Corvette for those race days when I just don't want to fool with the trailer.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sacrificed 20 years on a open trailer to find the right one.

I wouldn't trade for a loaded new Intech, bet that.

Nobody passes me unless I let em.

You don't know how easy towing is, until you pull one of these.

I'll get her fixed up and RIDE ON!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My buddy here at work had a Featherlite and it was a good trailer

Unlined and pretty empty

I recall feeling the floor felt like it was a bit flexy when I walked in it...never was any problem

My Classis Terminator had an aluminum floor and towed like a dream.....

I never cared for that style of rear door locks in your picture.....thumb crushers if your stupid and not paying attention.....been there, done that

My Classic had flush door handles and locks....and the same wheels in the picture

Sadly gone now and I have no idea where it is or whats happening with my car....I was told it popped up for sale a few weeks on a racing parts site....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I removed the races from my Dexter 12” drums manufactured 2003 they were stamped China and the bearings were Romania. In 2019 I replaced races/ bearings with Timken and their boxes stated some content could be foreign. I was advised on DRR by another to look at NTN Bower bearings made in USA.

I just replaced the brake assemblies with factory Dexter (USA made) this year after the rear axle brake material disintegrated from the shoes. Couldn’t figure out what happened, and the drums were perfect. The front axle brakes were perfect and only thing helping stop the trailer.

I also have factory steel 15” wheels and they wiggle slightly as well that was shown to me when I had new tires replaced 3+ yrs ago. Said they wouldn’t balance out properly because of this. I purchased new aluminum wheels recently for the next set of new tires. These aluminum wheels are China like everything else.

I just sent NTN an email for Part number cross over. We shall see for a response on what they offer. they are very big in transportation lines, trucks included.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Mike, I have the same 19yr old Featherlite trailer. Just wore out the original TriMark door keys and purchased new ones from Trimark after locks were hard to lock/unlock this year. Door lock uses 2 different cut keys for locking. The master key numbers are stamped on the original keys but not on the replacements.

I had to replace the breakaway switch that failed when doing the brakes recently also.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Mike, I have the same 19yr old Featherlite trailer. Just wore out the original TriMark door keys and purchased new ones from Trimark after locks were hard to lock/unlock this year. Door lock uses 2 different cut keys for locking. The master key numbers are stamped on the original keys but not on the replacements.

I had to replace the breakaway switch that failed when doing the brakes recently also.

That's your reach, that trailer. Effortless for miles.

Extends your reach.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wing Wong Ching Chong - American corporation strong, Cha Ching!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
You doing all 4 or just one???? As you know when installing that seal, put a film of anerobic or even ultra gray on the outside.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
You doing all 4 or just one???? As you know when installing that seal, put a film of anerobic or even ultra gray on the outside.

Will do, I have Right Stuff in stock.

Just doing one, I did buy shoes for the four, I'll look at also. Looked like they might have a third left.

I bought this trailer from Fly'n Brian trailers in Jacksonville. Tremendously good people, his folks and everyone there. Looks like they packed the bearings and put new shoes on it before I picked it up.

Top Notch people.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do they mark what country of origin the drum and bearings are on them?

New Dexter brake shoes are only 0.180” thick. Legal limit before needing replacement is 0.063”.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do they mark what country of origin the drum and bearings are on them?

New Dexter brake shoes are only 0.180” thick. Legal limit before needing replacement is 0.063”.

Hum, bearings say wing wong ching chong.

I'll be replacing the shoes on that bit of info.

Thank You

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
High quality piece as I presumed it would be.

Bearings were bigger too, you know what that means.

Dust cap even stabbed on tighter.

Grade 8.. 1/2 studs.

Nice, gonna order the other 3.