DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ever have one of these go south on ya?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever have one of these go south on ya?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
I thought it seperated a tire, I pulled off the road on I-4 in bumper to bumper traffic around Disney, on the ride home from Orlando Speed World. Tires looked great.

It's definitely this assembly, I tried a couple different wheels and tires on it today, monkeying with it in the back yard.

Wobbles.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've had to put bearings in mine from time to time.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Harder to get timken bearing$! Every trailer now comes with cheaper bearings.

To answer your question, yes.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4469 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:

I took everything apart yesterday, cleaned it spotless, could not find anything obvious.

Repacked the bearings, and bolted everything back together per Dexter axles instructions, 50ft lbs torque and and back the nut off, without turning assembly finger tight.

Still wobbled two different wheels and tires , over tightened spindle nut and it still wobbled two different wheels & tires.

Ordered one new assembly and brake shoes both sides..... We'll see.

I could visually see in the side rearview in stop and go traffic from slow takeoff, the trailer wobbling side to side. I pulled off 1-4 twice thinking a tire was seperated.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's the rear axle passenger side. Wheel and tire in front of it rolls straight , no wobble with trailer jacked up (tires off ground).

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A buddy broke a spindle a few years ago, maybe give the spindle a look for a cracked weld?

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
A buddy broke a spindle a few years ago, maybe give the spindle a look for a cracked weld?

Will do Sir...

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Have you tried removing the bearing “races” and replacing with new? 12" drums?

Posts: 2438 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:

Yes 12", Bingo That's exactly what I was looking at races.

Nothing told me try races, and I'm ready to speed up a no wobble scenerio. So I ordered a new assembly $86 with seal, nut, pin, races and bearings.

I'll keep results posted. Parts should be here Wednesday, Thursday.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you have a belt broke in the tire

Posts: 12 | Location: Kodak, Tn. | Registered: March 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Nothing told me try races, and I'm ready to speed up a no wobble scenerio. So I ordered a new assembly $86 with seal, nut, pin, races and bearings.

I would check the bearings in that deal.Sounds too cheap. I am a broke dyck according to king dyck, but most of the time too cheap sounding is for reason. Just saying.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

should add, always put in new races when putting in new bearings.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

I would check the bearings in that deal.Sounds too cheap. I am a broke dyck according to king dyck, but most of the time too cheap sounding is for reason. Just saying.

china slave labor rates, owned by an American company like everything else.

They pay the chinese so little, they can afford to use good materials.

No overhead either for these American companies, the factory is there, the American companies just show up with blue prints of what they want built.

I fought buying chinese manufactured products for 20 years, it's someone else's turn. I sacrificed long enough, it took me out of racing.

It's not chinese, it's American companies hiring chinese slave labor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Everything you see in this photo is made by American companies in china. Except maybe the rocker arms and valve springs (PAC) (GM block).

It's all gorgeous well manufactured.

The heads are manufactured by china slave labor for an Australian company, and assembled in Tennessee for Nickels.

Most people have no idea these are American companies, not chinese.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'll post photo's of the drum assembly, I guarantee it's high end quality.

That's the sad part for future generations of Americans.

They won't have the ladders of opportunity we had.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
We lost a dexter axle coming home from Phoenix. Right at the 90deg where the spring pad is. Might look there. Rims not cracked? Center…?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4469 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When I removed the races from my Dexter 12” drums manufactured 2003 they were stamped China and the bearings were Romania. In 2019 I replaced races/ bearings with Timken and their boxes stated some content could be foreign. I was advised on DRR by another to look at NTN Bower bearings made in USA.

I just replaced the brake assemblies with factory Dexter (USA made) this year after the rear axle brake material disintegrated from the shoes. Couldn’t figure out what happened, and the drums were perfect. The front axle brakes were perfect and only thing helping stop the trailer.

I also have factory steel 15” wheels and they wiggle slightly as well that was shown to me when I had new tires replaced 3+ yrs ago. Said they wouldn’t balance out properly because of this. I purchased new aluminum wheels recently for the next set of new tires. These aluminum wheels are China like everything else.

Posts: 2438 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
We lost a dexter axle coming home from Phoenix. Right at the 90deg where the spring pad is. Might look there. Rims not cracked? Center…?

My spare tire (same aluminum mag wheel) has never been run,..... it wobbled too.

There's always a possibility the old drum assembly needs races/bearings.

My plan is to expedite the wobble with a new assembly, and rebuild the old assembly timken inner and outer as a spare. I'm definitely not gonna chuck it to the junk man, until I know for fact it's scrap.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Timken bearings are made in China and other shyt holes.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Timken bearings are made in China

I just looked at my spare Timken bearing set for trailer I keep in the truck purchased in 2019. All Timken boxes say “Made in USA W/US & Imported Content” and both bearings and races are engraved USA on them.