DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How low have you chipped your dragster on the starting line?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How low have you chipped your dragster on the starting line?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Just curious, how low have you chipped (stutter rpm) your dragster on the starting line? What performance results did you observe by trying it (reaction time, 60' e.t.)?

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 793 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
4200-4600 depending on converter and time of year.

Posts: 2107 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

I'm interested to hear about any noticeable changes when chipping down to 3200 rpm.

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I went from either 4700-4900 down to a 4500 chip when I had 15x15 3084S tires in my dragster. Converted to a grid and 16x16 dbl beadlock wheels with lil bubba's and chipped it at 4400 and 60' harder than I ever did with the 15's. Only other major change from that winter was a 4.30 gear from 4.10.. It loved the 4400.. I've heard people as high as 5400 on the chip but they were on Hoosiers..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by team:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

I'm interested to hear about any noticeable changes when chipping down to 3200 rpm.

I answered your PM..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Just so everyone else knows.
A few years back when I first started racing my dragster, I was having a hard time keeping the front end on the ground (no wheelie bar).

Over a period of a few years, I ended up with pulling timing on launch, adding front end weight, changing rear gear, and going to a 1.69 low gear set, 3.89 rear gear, and lowering launch rpm to finally get it under control.
Changing the gears were the only thing that noticeably changed the launch characteristics, and had an effect on 60's. Still have 1.00 to .996 60's.
Kinda hated to get away from the quicker 60's but going rounds was much more fun..lol

Dave
C