Find
Notify
Tools

-8 or -10?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
3000 lb car running 136/110 mph in good air. I've been using -10 which I think is way overkill but I wanted to be able to switch to E85 or Alky with no issues. I'm replacing the hose with ptfe stuff and thought about going to -8. ID on the -8 is .410 and it's .5 on the -10. I've seen guys claim they run factory 3/8 OD line and make 900hp with no problems but I'd like to hear it from guys I can trust.

Posts: 455 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
-8 is fine.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would go with the -10

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3972 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
8 will work fine.Most alky pumps(belt driven) have -8 in bottom and your smallest hole is the biggest hole in system.

A -10 will carry more capacity to pump inlet and if you have any 90* fittings it will help since they are fairly restrictive. Down side is extra weight of line and fittings.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A BIG downside of using a -10 line (with a rear mounted fuel cell) is the excessive weight of the fuel in the line, trying to be moved to the front of the car against g-forces.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
Depends on the fuel pump JMO.

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Pump is a Magna Fuel Quickstar 275 with 18 psi. I never had any issues with fuel delivery that I know of. I plan to continue to run gas but I don't want to have to change the line again if I switch to alky. Fuel pressure stays constant at 6 all the way down the track.

Posts: 455 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
I have experienced that myself

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
W/ the option of going Alky later I'd go w/ -10. Be CAREFUL not to kink the ptfe tubing, -10 is not as forgiving as the -08. There are some mfg.'s that use a thin innercore.

Posts: 254 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie:
W/ the option of going Alky later I'd go w/ -10. Be CAREFUL not to kink the ptfe tubing, -10 is not as forgiving as the -08. There are some mfg.'s that use a thin innercore.

That's my main reason for switching to -8. I have to make a 90 degree turn to the regulator and I don't know if the ptfe -10 will do it. I was planning to use Orme Brothers hose because they told me theirs is made by the same company that makes Fragola.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If I ever replace my aluminum fuel line I will put the cell in the front. That will make it easier and cheaper.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Ron, you have to make the bends w/ fittings and not the hose...some MFG's. use a thicker innercore - that helps....Teflon hose doesn'thave a shelf life and if you have crimp on fittings > you could tow the car with it!
I'd still go -10 just choose fittings/adapters wisely...

Posts: 254 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
A BIG downside of using a -10 line (with a rear mounted fuel cell) is the excessive weight of the fuel in the line, trying to be moved to the front of the car against g-forces.

Never thought of that, makes sense.... HMMMM

I was just talking to a buddy who had a legit 8.50 155+ Mustang street car with a 600+ Ford engine. He ran a Mallory 250 pump and -8 line Eek

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Orme Brothers site says -8 has a bend radius of 4.5 inches, whatever that means. I'm calling them to see what the deal is cause I don't want to have to use fittings to make 90's. I've never heard of that before.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Ron, That means the max you can bend the hose is around a 9" circle. -10 will be greater... Try to get tube style fittings - most manuf. offer these. Teflon will actually flow faster thru the I.D. -vs- rubber. =smoother. In a really high flow / flammable fluid you would use a conductive innercore (this will be conductive from 1 fitting to the other to prevent static discharge which could arc / blow a hole thru the innercore to the braid and mix in flamm. fluid and ya got a Party!!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Orme Brothers tech told me 4.5 bend radius means if you take a piece of -8 hose and bend it so both ends are pointing in the same direction, it will measure 4.5 inches between the hoses. Maybe I got the wrong tech man.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
The term radius is always 1/2 of the dia. so 4.5 x 2 = 9" going by his version, there would be 9" in between hoses, easy mixup. Temp plays a role in bend radius as well, gas & alky no problem...

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
4.5" radius means a 28.25 in circumference circle. Tie a pencil to a string and hold the string 4.5" from the pencil and draw a circle. That's a 4.5" radius.
I think it's like PEX tubing where you can bend a radius 6x the diameter of the tube. They make a guide to hold PEX tubing, you could use one of those as a guide possibly.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post