Spark plug?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
guess I need to buy some 7's and 8,!

I would say either the 8's or 9's

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
quote:
quote:
Both brodx and RFD recommended the -10’ for alky. Guess we’ll see! Confused
.......They gave you bad advice. Fuel does not dictate what plug, combustion temperature does. But it's your motor and you should do what you feel is right. Be careful on the 10 plug reads. When the plugs are to cold they will read rich. And sometimes even when the motor is dangerously lean. Good luck getting it worked out.

Show me some pictures.

It's a good theory that I've heard more than once but never seen it play out in real life.

I have read 9s 10s and 11s back to back on gas/nitrous and blown alky and it just doesn't change the read.

Now if you go switching plug TYPES that can mess up your world. I've seen the knock off NGKs as well as he 6061s and been thrown for a loop. Autolites are worthless as a tuning tool. Champions have too high of a failure rate for me to ever try them again.

Stick with the 10s, you're fine. On an NA deal you have to chase the time slip while you watch the plugs. On blown alky it's kinda the other way around.
.......If your tune up is way off it probably won't make much difference. The only time I have ever run 10's is with a high end 632 ..400hp of nitrous and really pushing the tune up. And a 564 blown gas pushing 42 lbs through it. Currently run a ProCharged 540 on alcohol that will run 5.80's and its happy as a lark with 9's. As I said, you run whatever your happy with. But my advice is what I said.

I promise, I'm not talking about tuneups that are "off"

In one post you say that for a tuneup that is way off a cold plug is dangerous because it will read wrong. Now you say if the tuneup is way off the heat range doesn't affect the read.

Id still love to see some pictures where the heat range of the plug affects the read. Maybe I can learn something.

And why on earth would you "push" a 400 hp tuneup on a high end 632?? And what does that even mean? Were you cranking timing into it to clean up the fuel ring

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Both brodx and RFD recommended the -10’ for alky. Guess we’ll see! Confused
.......They gave you bad advice. Fuel does not dictate what plug, combustion temperature does. But it's your motor and you should do what you feel is right. Be careful on the 10 plug reads. When the plugs are to cold they will read rich. And sometimes even when the motor is dangerously lean. Good luck getting it worked out.

Show me some pictures.

It's a good theory that I've heard more than once but never seen it play out in real life.

I have read 9s 10s and 11s back to back on gas/nitrous and blown alky and it just doesn't change the read.

Now if you go switching plug TYPES that can mess up your world. I've seen the knock off NGKs as well as he 6061s and been thrown for a loop. Autolites are worthless as a tuning tool. Champions have too high of a failure rate for me to ever try them again.

Stick with the 10s, you're fine. On an NA deal you have to chase the time slip while you watch the plugs. On blown alky it's kinda the other way around.
.......If your tune up is way off it probably won't make much difference. The only time I have ever run 10's is with a high end 632 ..400hp of nitrous and really pushing the tune up. And a 564 blown gas pushing 42 lbs through it. Currently run a ProCharged 540 on alcohol that will run 5.80's and its happy as a lark with 9's. As I said, you run whatever your happy with. But my advice is what I said.

I promise, I'm not talking about tuneups that are "off"

In one post you say that for a tuneup that is way off a cold plug is dangerous because it will read wrong. Now you say if the tuneup is way off the heat range doesn't affect the read.

Id still love to see some pictures where the heat range of the plug affects the read. Maybe I can learn something.

And why on earth would you "push" a 400 hp tuneup on a high end 632?? And what does that even mean? Were you cranking timing into it to clean up the fuel ring
......you can read into it what ever you want. Your motor do as you wish......Have fun

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post