Spark plug?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Both brodx and RFD recommended the -10’ for alky. Guess we’ll see! Confused

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I ran -8’s and -9’s with Alcohol injection. Same as with a gas or alcohol carb. Never ran -10’s

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
wow for whats its worth I run ngk -7 in my 383 sbc on gas in cold alky in heat never a problem gap at 35

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
-7s here as well in our 565 and 434 both alcohol carburetors

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Guess im way off?!

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
.......They gave you bad advice. Fuel does not dictate what plug, combustion temperature does. But it's your motor and you should do what you feel is right. Be careful on the 10 plug reads. When the plugs are to cold they will read rich. And sometimes even when the motor is dangerously lean. Good luck getting it worked out.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I ran -8’s and -9’s with Alcohol injection. Same as with a gas or alcohol carb. Never ran -10’s

Me too on a alky injected 565, gapped at 25. Seemed happiest with 8's

Running 10's gapped at 18 on my blown TD motor but that's a whole differant animal

Posts: 2400 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would bet you are not reading that correctly, neither would have a clue on what plug to run just by the cylinder head!
10's are way to cold!

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
[URL= ] [/URL]

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
quote:
.......They gave you bad advice. Fuel does not dictate what plug, combustion temperature does. But it's your motor and you should do what you feel is right. Be careful on the 10 plug reads. When the plugs are to cold they will read rich. And sometimes even when the motor is dangerously lean. Good luck getting it worked out.

Show me some pictures.

It's a good theory that I've heard more than once but never seen it play out in real life.

I have read 9s 10s and 11s back to back on gas/nitrous and blown alky and it just doesn't change the read.

Now if you go switching plug TYPES that can mess up your world. I've seen the knock off NGKs as well as he 6061s and been thrown for a loop. Autolites are worthless as a tuning tool. Champions have too high of a failure rate for me to ever try them again.

Stick with the 10s, you're fine. On an NA deal you have to chase the time slip while you watch the plugs. On blown alky it's kinda the other way around.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents, NGK 8 or 9 gapped at .030-.025.

I may has missed it, is this injected or carb?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Carb

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
[URL= ] [/URL]

Like I said, they have no clue on what your building. But what do I know,, run the 10's if it makes you happy just cuz it says so...

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
quote:

Show me some pictures.

It's a good theory that I've heard more than once but never seen it play out in real life.

I have read 9s 10s and 11s back to back on gas/nitrous and blown alky and it just doesn't change the read.

Now if you go switching plug TYPES that can mess up your world. I've seen the knock off NGKs as well as he 6061s and been thrown for a loop. Autolites are worthless as a tuning tool. Champions have too high of a failure rate for me to ever try them again.

Stick with the 10s, you're fine. On an NA deal you have to chase the time slip while you watch the plugs. On blown alky it's kinda the other way around.
.......If your tune up is way off it probably won't make much difference. The only time I have ever run 10's is with a high end 632 ..400hp of nitrous and really pushing the tune up. And a 564 blown gas pushing 42 lbs through it. Currently run a ProCharged 540 on alcohol that will run 5.80's and its happy as a lark with 9's. As I said, you run whatever your happy with. But my advice is what I said.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like I said, they have no clue on what your building. But what do I know,, run the 10's if it makes you happy just cuz it says so...

Rfd 24-b brodix cylheads
Compression ratio 15:1
Bullet camshaft .900,.855 282/292
113 center installed to 109 per cam card
Apd 1250 alky carb
Ign timing set to 34
FTI converter going to 6400

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Top38, wasnt tryong to be argumentative, just showing were i got the info from .

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i have seen many misprints in info on websites before

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top38, wasnt tryong to be argumentative, just showing were i got the info from .

And I understand that, I was just trying to tell you that it is just plain stupid to even recommend a plug by either of those two you referenced just from a cylinder head!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
NGK -8 here also gaped how they come out of the box.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
guess I need to buy some 7's and 8,!

Michael Frizie
ET 2471