DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Headlight assembly mounting help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headlight assembly mounting help
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I'm need to mount factory headlight Assemblies in a fiberglass front end, 1989 Beretta. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 170 | Location: nj | Registered: February 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I scored a complete, new VFN one piece fiberglass nose off craigslist for $175 but couldn't pull myself to commit to a flimsy piece of shyt ……….

I wacked the "nose" section off the one piece and made a steel structure to support it out of various sizes of moly tubing and mounted it to the fenders using a few chassis tab. The nose had no openings for the grills or headlights so I cut them out to size and simply used the factory steel headlight buckets welded to some 1/4" rod, welded to my steel structure. It actually came together incredibly easy once I started rolling. I also used a Rhodes tubular rad support and ended up using two different size tubes that slide into one another so the entire nose is removable in about 5 minutes.

The steel structure I made I fiberglassed and epoxied to the fiberglass nose cone and it has held up well over the last few years. Saved over a 100lbs in the process too.

I don't really recall how an original Beretta is held together, do the light's mount to the header panel itself or does it have a separate headlight mounting panel ???

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how it's originally mounted. The headlights have 3 points I could mount to a bracket. I'm thinking about making a brace that goes vertically behind the headlight.

Posts: 170 | Location: nj | Registered: February 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bruce69camaro
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you can see this, but I made "L" shaped brackets from 1/8" tubing and welded tabs to them. They were then welded onto my rad support. The buckets have two mounting points on the "L" bracket and one mounting point where the front header and front fender bolt together.

Posts: 208 | Location: PA | Registered: August 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The problem I'm going to have is the headlights are about 2 1/2 feet forward of the radiator. They're going to have to be mounted in the front end. They stick through about an inch and are mounted flush with the grille.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Norton-...hesive/dp/B00AC26O88

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Used for metal-to-metal bonding; 75 minutes"

After 75 minutes it falls off. Wink Big Grin Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Tom there is one for plastic/fiberglass and metal lol. It's not falling off.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would think you could bend up like 050 aluminum sheet and bond to nose and mount light buckets to it

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
I would think you could bend up like 050 aluminum sheet and bond to nose and mount light buckets to it
This is what I ended up doing, should be fine. Can't move the light assemblies, very solid. Thanks again for all the responses.

Thanks Frank

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Panel bond works great if you do not want to build a bracket system, for retention. We use 3M stuff get it at the body supplier but here is a link to it at Summit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tes-08115

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 988 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post