DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    TH400 Transbrake questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TH400 Transbrake questions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
Is there a brake VB that is more consistent than another?
What does "low band apply" mean? ATI has a Wicked Quick reverse VB with and without "low band apply"

What's the difference between internal and external solenoids?

Posts: 455 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have that wicked quick but never heard anything about low band apply. Also mine is one of the first ones and after several trips back because it didn't work it is out in the garage unused. Last time they sent me a new valve body but I was tired of fooling with it. To old to be pulling it out so much.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I have that wicked quick but never heard anything about low band apply. Also mine is one of the first ones and after several trips back because it didn't work it is out in the garage unused. Last time they sent me a new valve body but I was tired of fooling with it. To old to be pulling it out so much.

Thanks for the information Fern. I too am too old to put something in that doesn't work perfectly. I'm thinking about only dealing with a shop that will dyno the trans before I install it. This is a very basic 400 build in a low powered car but it's got to be right, first time.

Posts: 455 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Low band apply keeps the band applied in low gear to help keep the low roller alive. I use this on heavier big power cars that are having to pedal in first for what ever reason.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Curious…. What VB do you presently have ?

Posts: 2440 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I footbrake with a reverse manual vb from Trans Specialties. I run in a 6.50 index class that for some unknown reason uses a .400 tree. I deep stage and do pretty well. I want to add a transbrake so I can run top too. I thought about a 1+2 pro brake but I wasn't crazy about the button for reverse because of having to add a toggle when bottom bulbing. So I decided to go with a good, reliable, consistent ho-hum type brake.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
My heavy BBC car with a TH400 has a Hughes Reverse/Manual VB w/Brake in it. And the release is both quick, and extremely consistent. (Tight enough grouping that I shoot for teen lights off the bottom bulb and adjust R/T's with front tire pressure). The solenoid is external. Easy to access, have not yet had to replace it, going into season 5 with it. No button needed for reverse, (this is huge for me, because button is on wheel & no power steering). Only thing I really wish it had, is a Clean Neutral. The thought of experiencing a real catastrophic failure in high gear, and not having an option to disengage the drive train does occasionally bug me. Otherwise completely happy with it.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
My heavy BBC car with a TH400 has a Hughes Reverse/Manual VB w/Brake in it. And the release is both quick, and extremely consistent. (Tight enough grouping that I shoot for teen lights off the bottom bulb and adjust R/T's with front tire pressure). The solenoid is external. Easy to access, have not yet had to replace it, going into season 5 with it. No button needed for reverse, (this is huge for me, because button is on wheel & no power steering). Only thing I really wish it had, is a Clean Neutral. The thought of experiencing a real catastrophic failure in high gear, and not having an option to disengage the drive train does occasionally bug me. Otherwise completely happy with it.

Thanks Jim. Is your a HP2215? Are you releasing the button as soon as you see the bottom bulb come on? What weight and ET? I'll be leaving off a 400 tree.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ron Gusack,