Find
Notify
Tools

gears
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
Looks like I'm gonna need to change my gearing in my digger. Haven't bought gears in forever and there have been a lot of changes since then. What's everybody running for gears these days? I do run a 35 spline pinion.....looking for a set of 3.90's

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
seems that us gear is getting real big...I think moser puts them in all their centers?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
seems that us gear is getting real big...I think moser puts them in all their centers?

The last gearset I replaced was done with a Richmond Pro gear if that tells you anything....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
3.90? what et?

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I believe he went 4.51 @ 157.85 and he has some more changes to make. I can’t remember what gear is in it now. Pretty sure he needs a converter also.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
You would be correct Vern. I'm running 4.10's now. Car is way too violent off the line, I need to calm it down some. Provided the weather holds out, I'll have some 1/4 mile data after tomorrow. I tried to download my ignition after last saturday but it's being funny so gonna try again later today.....last sat I ran 1/8

Mark Goulette

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Changing the starting line ratio with low gear is a way better option. But then again if I had a huge investment I wouldn't settle for not having the fastest-quickest car in the parking lot, bracket racing or otherwise. It's politically incorrect to say that, but it's Truth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Mike, I need to change both gear and converter. My combo was set up to run at Denver....not quite the same here, and now on alky as well....it's a different animal altogether

Mark Goulette

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Mike, I need to change both gear and converter. My combo was set up to run at Denver....not quite the same here, and now on alky as well....it's a different animal altogether

For the cost of purchasing a converter and gear, you could purchase a gearset and achieve the same result.

Fundamentals. Post images of the data and I'll tell ya which one to purchase. You can then research it and authenticate with many/any sources of your choosing.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if you are in the 4.40s,i think you will be unhappy with 3.9 rear gear.i was running 40s with a 4.30 and 1.8 low gear and was quite happy other wanting to go quicker of course.the 3.9 is going to kill it everywhere.maybe more suspension and convertor work along with timing pulled.i was able to pull timing on mine and not slow the car down just make it smooth on the line.currently i am useing a 3.9 and a 1.8 low,though i am quicker now

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
For the cost of purchasing a converter and gear, you could purchase a gearset and achieve the same result.

Fundamentals. Post images of the data and I'll tell ya which one to purchase. You can then research it and authenticate with many/any sources of your choosing.

If I could get the download, I will post it....
FYI though, I've already talked to several different racers/vendors/tech guys.....so far all the same...less gear and less converter.....Greg at FTI told me what he'd put in the car when I was there last, and also said the converter I have now might get me down the track but isn't right....not once did he say "I can sell you what you really need" or anything like that....just that it's not what he would have spec'd for it....and he also mentioned gear......

I'll get the data anyway, and post it though, nothing is set in stone yet except for dialing in the combo...

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
if you are in the 4.40s,i think you will be unhappy with 3.9 rear gear.i was running 40s with a 4.30 and 1.8 low gear and was quite happy other wanting to go quicker of course.the 3.9 is going to kill it everywhere.maybe more suspension and convertor work along with timing pulled.i was able to pull timing on mine and not slow the car down just make it smooth on the line.currently i am useing a 3.9 and a 1.8 low,though i am quicker now

My biggest issue is how the car is leaving....It's very violent at the hit....I'm still working on the tune, but I know it can do better than it is......vids from Immokalee are posted on my facebook page, Livin' The Dream Racing if you wanna check them out......

I'm listening to all input, and I'll pull the trigger once I know exactly what needs to be done. The only thing I do know is that I'm not going to do an 1/8 mile setup only. I'd rather set the car up to run 1/4 and let it do what it's gonna do in the 1/8th...but as I said, I know it still needs some work.

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'll be at Bradenton tomorrow if you wanna come check it out...Always looking for tuning input.....

Mark Goulette

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, I'll be at Bradenton tomorrow if you wanna come check it out...Always looking for tuning input.....

I'm currently banned for molesting the 370 pro tree at Bradenton with my street car on the way to the final round first time out in a class I never ran before, or I'd be glad to lend you a hand to save you some money.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

If I could get the download, I will post it....
FYI though, I've already talked to several different racers/vendors/tech guys.....so far all the same...less gear and less converter.....Greg at FTI told me what he'd put in the car when I was there last, and also said the converter I have now might get me down the track but isn't right....not once did he say "I can sell you what you really need" or anything like that....just that it's not what he would have spec'd for it....and he also mentioned gear......

I'll get the data anyway, and post it though, nothing is set in stone yet except for dialing in the combo...

You put me in an awkward position naming names, but if I were you I'd ask Greg again for specifics of my claims. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to elaborate on the fundamentals, he too understands.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You'll always go quicker/faster multiplying more torque at the back tire, as long as the torque of the engine isn't decreasing at a higher rate than the rpm is increasing. That's not gonna be a issue with a super charger, as long as you can tolerate the rpm at the stripe determined by the speed.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You're car is sticking the tire too hard which leads to an unhappy chassis and pulling gear out or pulling timing will only make it worse. Assuming this is a hard-tail, a wheelie bar would really help along with less tire pressure. Sometimes more is less, sometimes less is more.

Abbott Racing Heads
(432) 558-2841

Posts: 39 | Location: Crane, Texas | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I do know is that I'm not going to do an 1/8 mile setup only. I'd rather set the car up to run 1/4 and let it do what it's gonna do in the 1/8th...but as

i ran 1/4 with my 4.30 setup around 182 in s/c trim.you will get there i am sure .i have made the 3.9 gear change and was not happy maybe it will work for you.4 link shock and convertor will do a lot. i will looks at your page

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
without me searching through history is that a slip joint hard tail

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a really cool looking Hot Rod, you can see it really works, must be a slip joint car? I'm not sure why I was thinking you're working with a super charger. Definitely too much bite as mentioned (tire pressure) but you can see it'll work good once everything is adjusted. Good work Colorado looks great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,