DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Land Speed Racing Project
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Land Speed Racing Project
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
One of my sponsors, Speedo & his nephew Mike & I used to land speed race (Bonneville Speed Week). They started in the early 80's & brought me in to tune/drive in 89'. We ran a 67' Camaro in the E/FALT class with a 260" limit for engine size. I think the class record was high 160 mph average from the 2 1/4 mile to 3 mile on the short course. We averaged 160-165 mph depending on tune & engine configuration. Then, I forgot what year it happened; I think early 90's. The record got bumped up to 202 mph, wow! We ran until 1996 & decided we couldn't get close to the record with our combo. I have to get a picture loaded up & posted, maybe tonight.

Somewhere around the mid to late 80's, Speedo started building a car for a 300-mph class record. The car has set idle for a long time, everything bought just needs to be completed. Speedo just recently sold his business at 86 years old. He decided to give Mike & I the car, parts, tires, motor, trans, rearend & the list goes on. I guess he wanted us to light the torch & finish the project.

So, we are hoping to get things in line to get the unfinished car & parts out to my place. My biggest concern is getting an addition of some sort put on the back or side of the shop. To move one or both of the drag cars out; I do have room in our 3-car garage for one car. It will be tight with 2 trucks & a race car, LOL!

My hope is to do a build thread on the car. It has a lot of neat nostalgia parts on it. We had worked with a lot of manufactures back in the day for this unique 305" engine limit. The heads were works of art back in the day; Dart 10* Buick heads for the SBC. Plus, if I remember right it has a Kinsler cross ram mechanical injection. As with the other car, both were/are fuel classes; not decided what fuel we are going to run (nitro maybe).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B KING,

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2487 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have buddies here who still race Bonnie. Amos Beard, Scott Olson and Rick. Always said I wanted to hold down the pedal for miles! Love that engine singing!
Love to see some pics.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4465 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here's the Camaro we ran, it's or was a 67 RS SS convertible. It was converted to land speed racing in the mid 70's by the previous owners. They graphed a hard top onto the body. We sold it not too long ago.

I'll try & remember the basic motor details. It was 259"s, the block was a 350 bored, the crank was a de-stoked 302, rods were 6.250 long, we ran bowtie cast iron heads & used an alky 850. Later on, we went with Dart aluminum 220 heads, mechanical FI on alky with direct port nitrous. We never got the nitrous lined out. They tied my hands with the fuel pressure & made it blubbery fat on the nitrous.

One of my favorite parts of Bonneville is the push off. Most cars cannot take off on their own power. Try to get them up to around 70 mph & then they grunt/grown until the hit the sweet spot. I think it was around 6,500 - 7,000 for this motor. It was pure music to the ears after that!

Sorry for the crappy photo of a photo. Speedo is on the left, Mike in the middle & the meat head is me.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2487 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is what I'm looking to put on the back of the shop. The back wall of shop will be the back wall of the carport. The dimensions are 18' W x 20' L x 8' walls. The shop is 20' W x 33' L x 10' walls.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 of those but A frame roof. 22x20x8 right at 2K$ here.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4465 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
I bought 2 of those but A frame roof. 22x20x8 right at 2K$ here.

Do you have a link for them?

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ll post it and text

https://americancarportsinc.com/home/

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool man, would love to see a build thread. I've never been to Bonneville speed weeks - it's on my bucket list.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I always dreamed about racing Bonneville when I was growing up as a kid in MI. I never thought I would have the opportunity & it happened in 1989-1996. I'm looking forward to getting back out there & tuning/driving. I think I enjoy the tuning side the most. Getting a small inch motor to rev as high as possible & make it live for a minimum of 3 miles, is not easy.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I ordered the 2-sided car port to put against the back wall of the shop. Barry's price was much better, but it's 2-3 years later & f..arther for delivery/install. I ended up with 19'w x 20'l x 8' walls & It's supposed to be installed in Sept.

This is the 1st step in completing this long ongoing project, I don't think the car has been touched since the early 90's. Hopefully we can get the car moved in Sept. or Oct. & that will be a project in itself.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I'm in the sandiego roadster club and help out on my friends blown fuel roadster.

I know a few tech inspecters, I would recommend before doing anything on the car to have it preinspected. Alot of updates have happend since that car raced. I'm sure you will need to do some upgrades before they let it run again.
PM me if you need some contacts.

Badass car!

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 234 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:
I'm in the sandiego roadster club and help out on my friends blown fuel roadster.

I know a few tech inspecters, I would recommend before doing anything on the car to have it preinspected. Alot of updates have happend since that car raced. I'm sure you will need to do some upgrades before they let it run again.
PM me if you need some contacts.

Badass car!

Thanks 1leg!

We sold the 67 Camaro recently & planning on finishing a car started (never ran) in the late 80's. My memory is vague about the car/class, the record was around 300 mph with a 305" limit, fuel & streamlining. We are getting the current rule book & will change the build/plan to meet the requirements. I have a polaroid pic somewhere of the car, can't find it. When we move the car, I'll have plenty of pics.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That is cool!! Never been out there but would love to go sometime.

Following!

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Current Bonneville record for that car in E/FALT is 235.890 set in 2006, The D/FALT is 236.144 set in 2009. C/FALT is 244.929 set in 2021

Meziere Tech.

Posts: 234 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Current Bonneville record for that car in E/FALT is 235.890 set in 2006, The D/FALT is 236.144 set in 2009. C/FALT is 244.929 set in 2021

Wow!

We've been out of touch with Bonneville for too long.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

Wow!

Those numbers are all for fuel class which means he was running Methinal or nitro or NOS. The gas numbers are not that far off the fuel. I would look at running the car in the classic version of the class might make it more competitive and a little cheaper. In classic you can't use any EFI or computers to control the car functions.
If I had to guess you will need around 600-700 rear wheel HP to be competitive. Oh and it need to hang around for 3-5 miles.

Your in NV so you can come to El Mirage and have some fun in the dirt!

Meziere Tech.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

Wow!

Those numbers are all for fuel class which means he was running Methinal or nitro or NOS. The gas numbers are not that far off the fuel. I would look at running the car in the classic version of the class might make it more competitive and a little cheaper. In classic you can't use any EFI or computers to control the car functions.
If I had to guess you will need around 600-700 rear wheel HP to be competitive. Oh and it need to hang around for 3-5 miles.

Your in NV so you can come to El Mirage and have some fun in the dirt!

I need to get the car/all the parts out to my shop. I haven't touched or laid eyes on the car since around 1996. We have a 4 year goal to get the car to the salt.

As for El Mirage, we've attended as spectators. Pretty sure the 3 of us decided it was too dirty; I can deal with some dirt & dust, but the silt sucks! I do think that will be a good place to take the car for tech, when we the plan together.

Thanks for taking interest in the project.

Bryan

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
1leg,

Found out the class the car was planned for, D/F CompCoupe; I'm sure I messed up the designator. The record way back in the day was around 300 mph. I'm sure it's way higher now! We are getting rules books to figure everything out with the class

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't know what kind of find you call this, but we inherited it. Can anybody figure out what type of car this is based off, LOL!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here's the back part of the car & it has been chopped.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436