DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Swiching to shift on time.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiching to shift on time.....
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Have been shifting at 7000 rpm (keeps the ET's above 7.50 due to chassis cert)
7.50 dragster leaving at 4800
No data files left around after 5-6yrs, so my best guess for time is 1.8 seconds in...

Opinions?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4440 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
No data files left around after 5-6yrs, so my best guess for time is 1.8 seconds in...

Opinions?

What's the stall ? Leave rpm?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i think that is close. i had a 4.70 to 4.80 dragster that would shift at 7k and would be around 1.7 to 1.8

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd guess it's less than 1.7, I shift 6700 rpm (stall) 4 hundredths after TB release.

Depends on the stall rpm and drop back after flash stall - the gear in the car.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
Call me silly but if you want it to shift @7000 then put a 7000 chip in and forget about it. I have never seen anything proven to me that shifting on time works better ( except in throttle stop racing )

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Opinions?

As stated above I step it to 4800 and I don't know the flash stall yet as it's a new convertor (B&M 20608)

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4440 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
Call me silly but if you want it to shift @7000 then put a 7000 chip in and forget about it. I have never seen anything proven to me that shifting on time works better ( except in throttle stop racing )

This. I shift on RPM when I'm throttle stop racing too, but that's not for everyone.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:

That's always been my thinking also. But I got on this time shifting kick when it was suggested after I asked a few questions about putting the T-stop back on to run some S/Comp. Since that time I've decided I really really don't want to go back to stop racing.
So, sorry for asking useless questions but thank you all for the responses. And EXTRA thank you to Mike Greene for b!tch slapping me out of my lost in thought stupor....lol

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Opinions?

As stated above I step it to 4800 and I don't know the flash stall yet as it's a new convertor (B&M 20608)

Hypothetically, if it flash stalls 7000 rpms's, are you gonna shift it there, or let it drop and shift it when it arrives back at 7000 rpms?

If so the time it arrives back at 7000 rpm's is determined by the gear. Higher numerically, less time.

Lower numerically more time.

I shift mine 4 hundreths after TB release at the top of flash stall 6700.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mike thank you for you time but it seems I've wasted it.......I apologize

BTW....I hope this convertor doesn't stall 7000!!

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike thank you for you time but it seems I've wasted it.......I apologize

BTW....I hope this convertor doesn't stall 7000!!

You might love it. Loose is consistent. I love mine 6700-6800 stall, keeps the car slower than 6.39 dial in - legal for 6 point roll bar.

Comes back 150-160 degrees - trans. Slips 16% at the stripe.

As long as it ain't slipping a crazy amount driving through it, it'll work.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
LOL, we both have cert issues.....

I'm just trying to get decent 60' times after all these years.....I never cared about the 60' because I was always on stop running Super/Eliminator (7.90) But now that's long gone and being limited to 7.50 isn't going to cut it in Top/Dragster. Funny, I have a brand new 6.0 chassis hanging in the garage but too burned out on racing/no tracks to bother with it.
I swear I remember racing being a lot of fun...

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL, we both have cert issues.....

I'm just trying to get decent 60' times after all these years.....I never cared about the 60' because I was always on stop running Super/Eliminator (7.90) But now that's long gone and being limited to 7.50 isn't going to cut it in Top/Dragster. Funny, I have a brand new 6.0 chassis hanging in the garage but too burned out on racing/no tracks to bother with it.

Once you get to a race, it'll be fun again. Trust me.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

You just live in the wrong state to have fun racing these days. Very sad because when I grew up it was one of the best states to race in

Posts: 2395 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

You just live in the wrong state to have fun racing these days. Very sad because when I grew up it was one of the best states to race in

HeII, There's NOTHING much fun in this state anymore.....lol

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

HeII, There's NOTHING much fun in this state anymore.....lol

I was talking to FordSST the other night on the phone, told him he better get out of there while he can.

He said they closed the track 30 minutes from his house, not sure the name but it's the track with the sound board and In & Out Burger scoreboard, nice looking drag strip.

Anyway, he said the closest track now is 4.5 hours.

Florida, bunch of work here still, and an American Governor.

Cocoa Beach, Titusville, Orlando area dragstrip, non cleaner than this place. Bathrooms spotless, foods good and the track surface is the smoothest I've ever been on. JW Performance Transmissions, SUMMIT and BLP sponsored. *Americana*

Nice people.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I enjoy visiting Florida.....except for the humidity and Hurricanes......I can't imagine what home/property insurance is there. and there are some areas there that look like our homeless/ghettos...
I really like south Florida and the keys though. Honestly have never been to the North much. Gators walking through the neighborhoods are cool.

I'm assuming Bob is talking about Fontana closing...

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Opinions?

That converter will stall between 6400 to 6600 for your typical 7.50 dragster.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I enjoy visiting Florida.....except for the humidity and Hurricanes......I can't imagine what home/property insurance is there. and there are some areas there that look like our homeless/ghettos...
I really like south Florida and the keys though. Honestly have never been to the North much. Gators walking through the neighborhoods are cool.

I'm assuming Bob is talking about Fontana closing...

They do race through the blazing months at this place. Love it, ain't nothing to make you feel more alive than to strap into a oven on wheels, and do some drag racing.

All's ya gotta do is love it more than the guy next to ya, in the other lane.

The hotter the better. You'll never hear me say it's too hot.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
"That converter will stall between 6400 to 6600 for your typical 7.50 dragster."

I'd consider that about perfect for this combo....

Dave

F J B