New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer winch
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Does everyone mount above deck? I'm finally thinking about a winch for the dragster. Older and a little wiser maybe.
I imagine it doesn't take much of a winch to pull a dragster. But my wench is getting tired of helping me push.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
why can't you drive or back in?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
why can't you drive or back in?

When at home I would rather not start it if I don't have to. Plus, with my fat ass in the seat it's an invitation to dragging the body. Actually isn't not that fat but i'm tall.

What is O'IT?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a few comments...

1. can't you raise the trailer/tongue jack so the body/chassis doesn't drag?

2. do you have a handbrake? If so then all you do is walk the car out using the handbrake.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Out isn't a problem. The shop is deep with plenty of room to slow it by hand.
The trailer has some dovetail, and you really have to go high on the front to not touch with me in it. sometimes it's ok, other places you scrape. I don't want to chance it anymore. Plus, it's nice to have a set of eyes up front since it's pretty tight with the jr next to it. And it makes me nervous having someone in close quarters with the car running.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. FYI, we have a flat floor and a Equalizer hydraulic tongue jack. The 2 front axles of our triple are off the ground when we load and unload and we back the dragster in.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It’s on my improvements list. Would make life easier too

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I need to re-string my winch and get rid of the steel line. What Size/Gauge/Rating of synthetic rope do you guys use or recommend for a 3600# door car?
It's been a while since I bought some, (was for a different purpose). At Ace Hardware, if I recall correctly, it went by size/diameter, like 3/8" or 5/16". Don't remember if it listed the tensile strength.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my rope is 5/16" the super winch below mine the S5500 is 1/4"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
I need to re-string my winch and get rid of the steel line. What Size/Gauge/Rating of synthetic rope do you guys use or recommend for a 3600# door car?
It's been a while since I bought some, (was for a different purpose). At Ace Hardware, if I recall correctly, it went by size/diameter, like 3/8" or 5/16". Don't remember if it listed the tensile strength.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Amsteel Blue
http://www.amsteelblue.com/ams...inch-line-7-700-lbs/

http://www.amsteelblue.com/ams...nch-line-12-300-lbs/

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have a winch in mine, mounted in the front. Had a welded in winch plate installed when the trailer was built. My trailer is like Ed's, flat bottom, and when I raise it up, same deal, front wheels are off the ground, but the approach angle is very low at that point. Whether I drive in or winch in depends on how I'm feeling at the moment. If I'm not in a hurry, like when I'm loading to go to the track, I'll winch the car in. At the track, I generally drive it in. Still have the wire cable on it, but I have a new winch rope for it, just haven't installed it. Add that to the list of off season stuff to do. 3500 lb winch, pulls the car without hardly straining, and my car is a bit heavy for what it is. My atv and truck are using winch rope though, and after having rope over cable, won't ever use cable again. Only reason it's still on the winch in the trailer is because I've been lazy about changing it....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I thought you bought a dragster dolly?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
I thought you bought a dragster dolly?

Was thinking about it but nope. Not thinking I need it now.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post