DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Battery Location
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery Location
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Did Rocky Mountain Race Week last week. Took a truck with ~50 test miles and no passes to 4 tracks in 3 states in 5 days over 1,088 miles.

Uncorked it on last day and ran:

0060': 1.785 (5.8 psi boost)
0330': 4.980
0660': 7.678 @ 91.11 (7.25 psi boost)
1000': 9.998
1320': 11.956 @ 114.05 (8.70 psi boost)

Consistent 1.80-1.820 60's all week on the good tracks. No Cal-Tracs, stock V6 leaf pack.

Front axle: 2,470 pounds
Rear axle: 1,740 pounds
Total: 4,220 pounds
(plus my 190 pound self)

Alas, having some electrical woes from all the pumps, fans, ect. Also want to do some weight jacking.

Right now I have my 1 battery mounted parallel to the bedside, in right front corner of the bed.

I'm wanting to move it to the right rear corner of the bed, and add a second battery.

I recall being told that a wet battery should be mounted a specific direction, because acceleration can cause plates to short out. Is that lengthwise or transverse?

Should I put both batteries together in RR corner, or put second in left rear corner?

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I just put one of these in the BBC 71 split bumper street / footbrake car.

Best battery I've ever worked with, by far.

Put one of these, or two, right in the middle.

They're 16" long, they have two handles, to carry them around, not one. 85 lbs.

Badazz battery. Don't mount em long way.

This makes an Optima look bad. Real bad.

AGM technology.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

AGM technology.

Being an AGM, would mounting direction thus no longer matter since the plates are fixed in place?

Are you using a battery box for such a size, or do you have it mounted exposed?

As I recall, mine is a Duralast Gold Group 34. Label says 690 CCA and 110 RC. I have a 136 amp alternator.

My issue is that while running, I have a magnafuel 4303 fuel pump, two 12" radiator fans, a 10" transmission fan, and Davies Craig electric water pump running. At night, add a pair of standard headlights (tails and markers are LED). The alternator does good to keep up.

Then running the two fans and water pump back at pit with engine off. I can run the WP for a long time, it draws basically nothing. But the fans kill the battery quick. Generally speaking, the fuel injectors won't usually open below 10.5 cranking volts.

I was using my NOCO Genius booster to run the EWP and fans and to charge the battery between rounds. Still had to use it twice for starting boost.

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
If you’re worried about the plate shorting issue, you’d want the long sides of the battery to run parallel to the rear bumper. I’d put one in each corner, unless you plan to add some other weight in the opposite corner to offset the weight of two batteries together.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnethead:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

AGM technology.

Being an AGM, would mounting direction thus no longer matter since the plates are fixed in place?

Are you using a battery box for such a size, or do you have it mounted exposed?

As I recall, mine is a Duralast Gold Group 34. Label says 690 CCA and 110 RC. I have a 136 amp alternator.

My issue is that while running, I have a magnafuel 4303 fuel pump, two 12" radiator fans, a 10" transmission fan, and Davies Craig electric water pump running. At night, add a pair of standard headlights (tails and markers are LED). The alternator does good to keep up.

Then running the two fans and water pump back at pit with engine off. I can run the WP for a long time, it draws basically nothing. But the fans kill the battery quick. Generally speaking, the fuel injectors won't usually open below 10.5 cranking volts.

I was using my NOCO Genius booster to run the EWP and fans and to charge the battery between rounds. Still had to use it twice for starting boost.

Bolt that battery in there, turn everything on before hitting the key, if ya want.

Watch what happens. It won't phase it, it'll spin over the engine like it has a 16 volt battery.

Put it anywhere you want. I don't use a box.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The four corner weights with you sitting in the car, is a reference number.

The four corner weights at the moment it comes off the tranz brake, is the real number to concern yourself.

Low horsepower, the rotation of the rearend control the dynamics of the chassis, through the rotation of the driveshaft. I've always run the battery in the center of the trunk.

Since adopting this policy, my Nova comes out of the water straight with, no need for pre-load, nor any need for additional corner weight.

I stagger shock settings front and rear, to fine tune weight at the moment of tranz brake release.

Battery in the center in essence, you're starting off with a clean sheet of paper.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The truck leaves mostly flat right now. No front sway bar, but rear is hooked up.

I don't have cal-tracs on it to control rotation of the rear axle yet, those will probably come next.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
over the axle,if worried about plates turn it crossways.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1392 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A quick question for Mike if I may. I am thinking about putting the battery/ batteries in the middle on my new rebuilt of my old camaro. I am also installing a fuel cell. Just wondering where you put the fuel cell with battery in the middle? My car will be a back half big tire bracket car that will occasionally play in super street.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would put it in right rear and I would use an AGM if possible.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3984 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Mike do you have a picture of how you mounted the battery. Is it on a plate then all thread rods?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
A quick question for Mike if I may. I am thinking about putting the battery/ batteries in the middle on my new rebuilt of my old camaro. I am also installing a fuel cell. Just wondering where you put the fuel cell with battery in the middle? My car will be a back half big tire bracket car that will occasionally play in super street.

I've got a 25 gallon stainless fuel cell in the trunk of the 71 split bumper so I put the AGM 16" DieHard on the ledge behind the right rear tire. It's actually hanging off the ledge 3", bolted down with 3/8 threaded rod, twp aluminum plates across te top of the battery. I had to saw a 1/2" wrench in half to be able to tighten down the negative post. This is a street car that'll be driven to the track to footbrake race.

These Die Hard AGM's are unreal. I can crank the BBC hot, distributor locked on 36 degree's with a Be Cool fan running notorious for killing batteries. Reach in the window barely hit the key, it's running.

My Nova I have two Batteries Plus AGM's on the center of the trunk.

The Die Hard looks identical to the Batteries Plus AGM's. Only they're black batteries, say Die Hard on them. Little less money too, comparatively.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Mike do you have a picture of how you mounted the battery. Is it on a plate then all thread rods?

No plate Sir, it's late I'll post a couple photo's tomorrow

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Mike your battery is used mainly for large tractors and bull dossiers. My Nova has plastic tank-maybe 10 gal. and 1 battery on each side. If using nitrous it goes on seat with seatbelt tight.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post