Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dart Big M sportsman block options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dart Big M sportsman block options
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted
Down to the nitty gritty on pulling the plug on a Dart Big M sportsman block and was wondering if anyone had any good info .......

I've shopped around a bit and as expected prices are all over the place. Everyone's machine work is better than the rests, ect ....... The block right from Dart needs to be decked, finish hones and needs all the little trinkets including possible lifter bore honing, all of which my machinest can obviously do but Dart offers the "block prep" option for $510 plus $192 to bore to my specs. I haven't heard anything negative about darts finishing machine work, so that's a solid option.

Another area of questions is lifter size ........ On a new block the .904 upgrade is $192.50. Not convinced we need that at our level, but for $200 it's almost a why not. So ........ Why not ???? Bushed lifters bores another option ???

Opinions / Ideas welcome .........

Posts: 1052 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
Bob, all I can say is give Todd a call at Huntsville and Allan at Scoggin D i c key's Race Shop, both will give you very competitive pricing but more important both will give you straight, not upsell advice as to what to get.

O'IT!

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

Support our President! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

< FOR SALE v

Posts: 9348 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Precision Machine Service in Levittown Pa. #267-205-6410 tell him you got the number from Bob F.
Alot of Northeast guys use him.
Prob your best deal around imho.
good luck

Posts: 628 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Bob, all I can say is give Todd a call at Huntsville and Allan at Scoggin D i c key's Race Shop, both will give you very competitive pricing but more important both will give you straight, not upsell advice as to what to get.

I thought I read recently that Todd left Huntsville......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 241 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
CNC Carl .904 lifter.

Posts: 152 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:
I would recommend Precision Machine Service in Levittown Pa. #267-205-6410 tell him you got the number from Bob F.
Alot of Northeast guys use him.
Prob your best deal around imho.
good luck

CNC Mike .904 lifters....local too

Posts: 628 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If I was building from scratch I think the .904 lifters would be a good investment and at $195 can not see any reason not to.

If you choose to have Dart do the "Block Prep" option I think they would do a good job. But no matter who does it the final responsibility belongs with who assembles and checks all clearances.

https://postimg.org/image/jlu721ppb/84308b10/
"Our products are not designed for ED, they are designed for COMPETITIVE RACERS"

2X SHRA NE2 CHAMPION.

Posts: 1189 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

I thought I read recently that Todd left Huntsville......
I heard he was trying to get away from ED,LMFAO!!

Posts: 1700 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
LOL, good one Moe. We miss your quick wit when you have to work so much.....

272" Spitzer
Rolla Competition Engines 540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.72@198

www.ftiperformance.com

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

Posts: 2510 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Poor Johnny is going to have to deal with him.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
Down to the nitty gritty on pulling the plug on a Dart Big M sportsman block and was wondering if anyone had any good info .......

I've shopped around a bit and as expected prices are all over the place. Everyone's machine work is better than the rests, ect ....... The block right from Dart needs to be decked, finish hones and needs all the little trinkets including possible lifter bore honing, all of which my machinest can obviously do but Dart offers the "block prep" option for $510 plus $192 to bore to my specs. I haven't heard anything negative about darts finishing machine work, so that's a solid option.

Another area of questions is lifter size ........ On a new block the .904 upgrade is $192.50. Not convinced we need that at our level, but for $200 it's almost a why not. So ........ Why not ???? Bushed lifters bores another option ???

Opinions / Ideas welcome .........
I'm in the same boat, the best deal and bang for the buck for me is to buy it from summit since they will ship it to my door free, and for the best price. Then I will take it to the same guy that does all of my machine work. S&S Automotive.... I'm sure dart does an ok job, but i know when I get it from Rick it will be dead nuts. Besides I will be having him put .937 keyed bushings in it, which dart doesn't offer. Darts machine pricing isn't exceptional anyway either, so it's better for me to just get the best price on a raw block and get it machined.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1314 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Bigger lifters is better, but without increasing wheel size its not as big of a deal. If you go .904 but keep the .750 wheel, imho you haven't gained much of anything.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1314 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post