New
Find
Notify
Tools

trans fluid?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
The guy that built my powerglide for me years ago gave me Allison Tractor fluid to run in my trans. Never had an issue and the trans has been in the car for 10-12 yrs. I put a new convertor in and want to change to fluid in the trans while I'm there.

My trans guy is retired now so what fluid is most people using now?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4466 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
The guy that built my powerglide for me years ago gave me Allison Tractor fluid to run in my trans. Never had an issue and the trans has been in the car for 10-12 yrs. I put a new convertor in and want to change to fluid in the trans while I'm there.

Allison Transynd

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
what fluid is most people using now?

The cheapest shyt they can find.

Now had you asked what is the best trans fluid? That is Allison’s Transynd.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
TES 295 is no longer being offered and TES 668 is the next generation of synthetic on-highway automatic transmission fluid. I just purchased it from local Farm + Fleet as Mobil Delvac 1 ATF 668. TES 668 is an Allison licensed product and many companys offer the exact same blend.

TES 668

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Allison Transynd

Thanks Mike...I wonder if that was the "Allison" fluid he was supplying me with all these years?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4466 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If you want the best then Allison transyn for sure, its the only fluid I have tried that can take the heat of my TD. If I would of listened to Ed 5 years ago I would of saved allot of money from burned up transmission parts.
I also had good luck with Lucas semi synthetic when I bracket raced.

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
my trans is at 150 after a run,valvoline fluid for me

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Big Steve…KNOWS!

rusty make the switch to Transynd, you will see better trans component life

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I used Royal Purple SYNDRAULIC 32 for years. I posted on DRR my lab test data but it’s probably gone now. It was the best I could find and use 10 years ago. Make sure the cSt@100 is close to 5.5.
https://www.budreiner.com/?id=50&department_id=540
https://www.royalpurple.com/wp...71822_LowRes_SEC.pdf

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

I struggle to build heat in mine now, I will sit behind the water running while in gear trying to get some heat in it.

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Valvoline maxlife atf here.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

I struggle to build heat in mine now, I will sit behind the water running while in gear trying to get some heat in it.

its seems that doesnt matter as much at this power level,i do try to get a little heat before the water box.other fluids at less power i wanted to be hotter before pass

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is interesting. Jim Beattie was my friend before he became famous and now he is gone. He always told me to put ANY brand of type F in there. Then he started selling his own brand and of course recommended that. I still use any type F I can find. Just removed trans and fluid had been in there 2 years and was clear as could be. Like Ed says "the cheapest you can find"! In my slow car anyway.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We use the ATI Super F & see no reason to change yet.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2548 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Switched from Dex6 to Allison TES 295 two years ago after reading about it on DRR and wanted to try when switching convertors. I chart convertor rpm at launch and shift completion rpm to high gear in my runs using Holley for data acquisition. I find with trans at 115* or 180* the shift completion rpm remains the same and the only thing that changes the convertor flash rpm is the weather DA.

As long as the water temp is minimum 170*, my car is consistent at any trans temp using Allison Licensed TES 295/668. I won’t use non-synthetic trans fluid.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
^^^Just one of the many reasons my cars are deadly consistent.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Amsoil for me... never had heat or breakage issues so never saw a reason to change...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Been using the Valvoline maxlife full synthetic ATF Walmart sells in the red gallon jugs for years, after I got tired of hunting Type F down.

Works great in my 30 year old stock case glide going 1.20 60 fts. every week.

Posts: 1565 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
VP tractor fluid from Tractor supply has worked well for me...buddy suggested it.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mobil 1 Synthetic

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post