New
Find
Notify
Tools

High gear delay
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I’m going to throw together a backup trans tomorrow. Reid case and old non-pro brake valvebody. Last time it this case/valvebody was used, the high gear activation was delayed. Like .2 to .3 longer than a different good trans. Activation is decently firm just happens a long time after the shifter handle moves.

The car I’m putting it in now shifts on time so not that hard to account for the delay, just curious if there is something I should look for when I put it back together.

Clutches and everything looked good when I took it apart.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The one time we saw something similar I'm 99% sure it was related to the check ball in the high gear drum.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The shift lever is keyed/splined through the rooster comb. Slop due to an undersized/chinese manufactured shift lever or cracked rooster could cause a late shift.

Best case scenario is an interference fit so to speak between the lever and comb. No slop without the pinch bolt snug.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Look at the spring behind the servo piston. See if it is aftermarket and stiffer than a stock spring. It is a balance between the spring and the fluid pressure from the opposite side of the piston that times the shift. The fact that the clutches look good would suggest this is not a problem but I would check anyway.

Posts: 842 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post