DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    SR20 Upgrades from Frankenstein Engine Dynamics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SR20 Upgrades from Frankenstein Engine Dynamics
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted

When all you want for Christmas is a little extra horsepower, you dial up Chris Frank and Mike Shabareck at Frankenstein Engine Dynamics down in Texas!

We are extremely excited to show you what their company is all about in 2019! FED will be overhauling our BRODIX SR20 Cylinder Heads and Intake Manifolds that power our pair of DRR Dragsters.

We will be documenting the complete upgrade from increased horsepower to decreased E.T. slips on DragRaceResults. In the mean time check them out at www.FrankensteinED.net

Merry Christmas and HoHoHold On!

Posts: 2107 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Scott nice looking boxes....haha

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
they did a set of darts for me,runs very well

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
they did a set of darts for me,runs very well

how much ET did you pick up?

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

20 degree Darts?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
I am surprised than none of the engine builders haven’t done extensive R&D for a SR20 on alky with carb or injection. I may be wrong but you don’t hear any SR20 motors running as good on alky as they do on gas. They could corner the market

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:
I am surprised than none of the engine builders haven’t done extensive R&D for a SR20 on alky with carb or injection. I may be wrong but you don’t hear any SR20 motors running as good on alky as they do on gas. They could corner the market

#metoo

I was seriously considered a set after tearing my heads up. But ended up with a set of cnc profiler 174x, and so far I am not disappointed.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because then other builders would get a set of the heads and cam, see what was done and copy them. All the time and R&D down the drain after that.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
no dart 380 vern

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLIND MULE 2217:
quote:

Because then other builders would get a set of the heads and cam, see what was done and copy them. All the time and R&D down the drain after that.

I am thinking nope! Like that doesn't happen with gas combo's??

Running alky with higher HP/CID ratios, especially with carb's gets tricky. Over the past number of years due to development, gas combo's are just as fast and consistent as the alky setups.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
I was considering a set of SR20's for my MFI. I asked James Monroe about it. He said he had several customers running those heads. He told me they run fine on injection. Still couldn't pull the trigger on it though.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MorgretNation:
I was considering a set of SR20's for my MFI. I asked James Monroe about it. He said he had several customers running those heads. He told me they run fine on injection. Still couldn't pull the trigger on it though.

If I were to do this it would definitely have injection!
James did a 588 12 degree motor a few years back and it ran fine! Depending on the HP your looking to get a few tweaks to the heads may be required.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of racer7171
posted Hide Post
My 582 12 degree runs fine on alky carb. Extended plugs help.

I'm sure it may be faster on gas, but I like alky for cooling.

Posts: 180 | Location: USA | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would like to know how much it changed.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It can be done. But no customer wants to pay for the time and development work it takes to make it right. We have tried and it wasn't pretty. Burnt it up twice. It can be done with MFI and special parts. Power isn't as good but it's all in what the customer wants. The head is so good on gas why change. Everybody talks about how alky is so consisent. My gas combo is just as good or better then alky combos. Day to Night and Day to Day.

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Spanky,

Which 20 degree head? Dart or Brodix or does it matter and which single four manifold? I see where the Dart can supposedly use more common manifolds than the Brodix.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Chris on this one. Our stuff is so good on gas that I'm not sure why anyone would look to Alky for a 20 degree.

Seriously, if our stuff moves .02 in a weekend it's usually the track temp or a MAJOR weather swing, like 2000 plus feet.

I'm not the technical guy, but my understanding it's more the combustion chamber than anything. Even an issue on boosted application. There are more damaged 20 degree engines at major engine shops than there are running as boosted 20 degree. Most have given up on this.

Maybe the boys at FED with come up with something.

SL...

Posts: 2107 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
I have to agree with Chris on this one. Our stuff is so good on gas that I'm not sure why anyone would look to Alky for a 20 degree.

Seriously, if our stuff moves .02 in a weekend it's usually the track temp or a MAJOR weather swing, like 2000 plus feet.

I'm not the technical guy, but my understanding it's more the combustion chamber than anything. Even an issue on boosted application. There are more damaged 20 degree engines at major engine shops than there are running as boosted 20 degree. Most have given up on this.

Maybe the boys at FED with come up with something.

SL...

It is more than the combustion chamber! Think about why a 93cc
Chamber with a 20 plus cc dome only need as much timing as a 68 cc chamber with no dome and you will get a better idea! With any motor making close to 2 hp per cid when you use ally for the fuel it can be a challenge but not impossible! MFI fixes a bunch of these challenges by providing both the quantity and quality of fuel needed!

But other than cooling, gas is just as good combo wise so why reinvent the wheel?

Sparky. How much timing did u run in that ally combo?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
25 to 28. Timing is not the issue. The motor will make less no matter what you do on alcohol. It is the same as a 12° head on alcohol the motor will always be better on gas the more efficient cylinder head is the better it will be on gas. The bigger the motor the less it likes alcohol

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
Heads are ported. Intake Manifolds getting worked on now.