DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What will it run
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will it run
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Taking care of a sick kid so might as well bench race.

511 BBC (4.31x4.375) hogged out dart 320 heads, 13:1, 850+ cam (RM for a 565 with 1.8 rockers) in a little early, smallish hillborn stacks in a 4 linked digger with a 1.80 and 3.90. Guessing converter goes 5800 except I think the 2nd harmonic on these long stacks might be around 6000 so that could push it up a little. Not sure on weight but let's say 1850 wet with driver (was 1980 with an aftermarket block, blower, wing, wheelie bar, dual chutes, but no radiator before the four link).

My friend who did the machining says it will never see the 4s. I'm positive it will now that he's made it a challenge, just not sure if I have to tip the can one night to get there.

I think it will have a very interesting power curve with the too big cam and the stacks, not sure how that will play out on the track

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I had a very similar cam in a 4.25" stroke 505, Terminator injected.

The 3.90 gear won't help you but the longer stroke makes it just a little better.

I know mine was in the 7s on the long track. Can't remember what it ran in the 1/8.

I'll say it goes 5.10.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
I am with Tony 5.teens

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
put a 4.30 in it, loosen the converter to 6500 and your buddy will be shocked at what it does.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Let me guess, this dragster also has 34.5" quadruple bead locks?

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by team:

After putting in a 4.30 it's may need 34.5" quadruple bead locks, liners, screws and Aqua Net.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree that with a 4.30 gear and a looser convertor that it will run well

We had a 511 BBC with Rons injection that ran 4.80’s in a 4-link dragster

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
Tommy Castenado of bracketnews.com had a 468 with stacks in an undercover hardtail that went high 4.60s in killer air. Went 4.80s in his 4 link undercover car. The 3.90s will hurt it but i believe itll go 90s in good air.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by team:

I have big and little bubbas. I forget which is mounted on the top fuel (read: heaviest ever made) beadlocks.

If it makes too much wheel speed and I run out of room to pull timing on the small cap distributor, I have a couple 34.5s I can throw on.

Pretty sure I'm not going to race it in a parking lot though.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
as the way you describe the car, engine, etc now I think 5.05

Scott

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
We had hardtail with 496aluminum Hemi with bad combo and injection that went 5.01 car was 1780. I think with bigger motor and better combo than we had you should dip into 4's.If not at first the 4.30's 6500 or so converter and you should be good.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Finally got it out yesterday. Less than impressive but it went down the track 3 times so that was a victory.

5.56@123 with one blip of the throttle. 1.29 60’. 4500 ft adjusted altitude.

I might could have run the whole 1/8 in low gear. I Hit the shifter around 400’ @ 6500. The SD card wasn’t working on the grid so not sure what it flashed to but Probably pretty low because of the tuneup I had in it.

Only had 35 degrees timing in it and at least 10% too much fuel if not 15%.

Guessing with a better tuneup it goes 5.25 with the big bubbas, 1.69 low gear, and 3.90 out back. Maybe a teen with 70 lbs out of the seat in killer conditions. 4.90s will need a gear change and maybe a different tire.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Too much tire and not enough gear or stall to make the car work. I think it needs around a 4.30 rear gear and 6400 stall. Smaller tire would help but first more gear and stall.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Too much tire and not enough gear or stall to make the car work. I think it needs around a 4.30 rear gear and 6400 stall. Smaller tire would help but first more gear and stall.

Sounds about right. On the plus side the car owner wanted a 5.50 tuneup for her first pass so I nailed that right off the bat.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Little lady got her first passes in. 552@124, right where she wanted to be.

I downloaded the grid today:

Stall 5100, shift on timer at 2.2 seconds resulted in a 5400 rpm shift. fallback to 5200. LOL!!

The motor should be pretty stout from like 6600-??? (Heads and cam are set up for 8k+ but the stacks are long and a little small).

We messed around in the driveway for a minute and got the static stall up to 5400 from 5000 after we got home. Thinking that plus a shift timer at about 4 seconds goes 5.3x easy. Then I’ll start adding timing.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Our 13:1 540 with Terminator goes 5.10 @132 in perfect air.
Last week in 4000 ft air with 100 water grains it was low 5.20s.
But, it went dead on 7 times in a row in elimination rounds over 3 days.

07 racecraft 4 link
1910 lbs Hoosier 18700 tire

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
@1850lbs....5 teens, 133

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
2200’ altitude, 88 grains of water last night.

Light driver.

5.120@134.6 with a 1.168 60’

Flash 5500, fallback to 5600. Shift at 3.1 netted 6900 rpm.

As I described it to a buddy of mine it sounds like a prostock motor in a dump truck.

I’m pretty impressed with the et for how mismatched the combo is. No doubt in my mind now that it will run 4s eventually.

I got the fuel close and then let the air come in. Finally slowed up at 2500’, subtracted .003 from the main and picked right back up. The plugs didn’t show as much heat as I expected for being lean enough to slow down. apparently a bunch of blower plug experience doesn’t translate very good to NA injected.

35 degrees of timing. Heads are 120cc with a 40cc dome. I will try a little more timing at some point in the future but not sure how it will respond.

I’d love to try a couple different converters but it’s just a bracket beater and she had a blast. 3 win lights (including a .010 light then a dead on 0 run with the brake rotors glowing) before missing the let go with a .025 beside a 19 pack.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BJs Wild Ride,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Not really apples to apples but....my 468 with rons terminator, converter flashed 5600 went 6.19 changed to a converter that flashed 6500 and it went 5.98, no other changes.
Your combo should go 4's if the driver wants too.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLIND MULE 2217:
Tommy Castenado of bracketnews.com had a 468 with stacks in an undercover hardtail that went high 4.60s in killer air. Went 4.80s in his 4 link undercover car. The 3.90s will hurt it but i believe itll go 90s in good air.

The dragster he raced in ‘97-‘98 went a bunch of 5.0’s with a stacked 468 and a flat tappet cam. Tommy is good peoples, glad he’s back racing again.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post