DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Synthetic Racing Oil ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic Racing Oil ??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Synthetic Racing Oil ??

What Racing Oil is available in 10w30 that is “Full Synthetic”? I’m presently using semi-synthetic and want advice on what brands offer 10w30 Full Synthetic “Racing Oil” that others use.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Driven is the uptown cracker synthetic racing oil, and Mobil 1 is average Joe synthetic racing oil.

I use conventional Valvoline VR1 or Kendall green Pennsylvania crude - methanol.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mark have used valvolines full synthic race oil for years best price in midwest is at Mills Fleet Farm stores-10w-30

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mark, I’ve used Mobil 1 10w-30 for decades in my race engines, switch to Lucas 4 years ago due to contingency, convenience and ultimately sponsorship. We now use https://mrraceoil.com/

PAR uses Schaffer and The Race Shop uses Maxima.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The owners of this Callies Magnum 4.250 stroke crank believe it is still standard/standard following being driven back to the trailer no oil pressure, after the cast oil pump broke in two, who knows where, when, how or why going down the track.

Maxima oil.

Anything is possible I suppose.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have been running Redline for a number of years after switching from Lucas. I ran 10/30 in my bracket motor and was immediately impressed on how clean and shiny the inside of the engine was after the first disassembly compared to Lucas. I Continue to run Redline in my blower motor and handles fuel dilution well and bearings look prefect. Only real drawback is Redline has gotten stupid expensive recently.

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I like the Valvoline myself.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Driven is the best oil I've found so far, Penn Grade oil and use discount code GBR10 and you get unlimited 10 percent off order and free shipping to your door.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
Driven is the best oil I've found so far, Penn Grade oil and use discount code GBR10 and you get unlimited 10 percent off order and free shipping to your door.

If you compare the ingredients, Driven is best. I don't see that changing as it has with a few other brands who started out using the best ingredients, only to change their ingredients sleight of hand, without notice.

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Schaeffer oil here.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Schaeffer here also

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if the sale for Driven is still on but they had 15% off for Memorial Day sale. Code MDSALE15

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
The owners of this Callies Magnum 4.250 stroke crank believe it is still standard/standard following being driven back to the trailer no oil pressure, after the cast oil pump broke in two, who knows where, when, how or why going down the track.

Maxima oil.

That isnt a Callies Magnum (maybe a cheaper Compstar) crank with the huge counterbalance on the flex plate flange. I would have figure you would have knew that....

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies as I looked at all of them at their website today for the specifics they list. I don’t think one could go wrong choosing any of these full synthetic racing oils in 10w30.

All of these synthetic oils are expensive, and I just purchased the Maxima RS1030 on sale from Summit. It’ll go in next oil change and I’ll send in a sample after using.

My sbc oil system is 6 qts with filter and I change at the 50 -60 run interval now using 10w30 Penn Grade that is partial synthetic. What does “partial” synthetic mean? 20%?

After switching to Full Synthetic, do you think one could safely increase the run interval prior to changing?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Oil is cheap compared to engines, I change mine at 30 passes.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Oil is cheap compared to engines, I change mine at 30 passes.

I agree Ed. Staying with the intervals I’m presently using is probably best.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Q: Does one need to add zinc or ZDDP or something to any of the above oils? For protection of solid lifters??
Thank you.
T.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
Q: Does one need to add zinc or ZDDP or something to any of the above oils? For protection of solid lifters??

When looking at the race oils listed above it’s not necessary from what was written. Here’s some of it….

Extend engine life in all types of high-performance gasoline engines including those that contain flat tappet cams

Advanced anti-wear and extreme pressure additives for flat tappet cams

Blended with extra zinc, our race oils protect flat tappet cams from excessive wear

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Valvoline VR1 for me. Last October I broke an oil pump at .2 seconds into a run per the Racepak data. I made the pass and drove back to the trailer and knew something was wrong. I usually run 8.90's at 184 but this run was off by 2 tenths and 4 mph so I started checking and found the broken oil pump. After tearing down the engine the crank and rods all checked good and just polished the journals and put it back together. Been running fine and ran 186 at 8.90 two weeks ago in hot weather so I will keep using VR1.
David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I use and like the Valvoline VR1 racing oil, you can get it in full synthetic or conventional. Both are very good.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post