DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Setting ride height
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting ride height
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
I have read and read information from chassis books to online material but starting off with a new 2x3 chassis build, how do you determine the ride height? I know you want to be low, but I don't want it so low that it's a pain getting the car in and out of the trailer either.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Well the body you choose to use will affect how low you can go before it is issue loading it up. My first car was a monza so it didn’t have much nose on it to have any issues loading it up but not I have a 95 Monte Carlo and I have to use ramp extensions so nose doesn’t hit the ramp and I am 5 1/2” off the ground due to how the car was built. I would be lower but have to redo the strut mounts to get it any lower.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
Buy the rear wheel/tire combo you want, gut the car from the rear seat back, put the tires where you need them in the wheelwells and start measuring! Everything else you build will be based upon simple mock-up of the tire in the wheelwell. I went with 11" rocker height and it's ok for loading.

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ride height should be set by power level/ET from what i have read. Crank CL to ground for lower power cars 13" to 14" to ground. 12" to 10" for higher power cars.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Payton:
Ride height should be set by power level/ET from what i have read. Crank CL to ground for lower power cars 13" to 14" to ground. 12" to 10" for higher power cars.

Okay but where do you define low power/ high power?

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Payton:

Okay but where do you define high power?
1300 plus

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Malaby Racing
posted Hide Post
When I build my car I set the bottom of the frame rails 6" off the ground, level all the way back.

The body is only 4" off the ground. Mine is round tube. Like what was said above setup the rear tires and mock-up the rear setup ladder bars or 4-link and see where you will have the best setup i.e. bottom ladder bar level to start and have adjustment both ways. Same with ladder bars.

You can move the body up or down to fit the tires add rake, etc...

You can go to my website and see my two builds, 81 Malibu (2" x 3" frame, ladder bar) and 96 Cavalier round tube, 4 link. When I front halved the Malibu it was slammed so we had to cut the bottom of the hoop and move it up to clear. Look under 2006 & 2007 Seasons

394L Super Pro / Super Gas

Malaby Racing

Posts: 265 | Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post