DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster oil pan - results not good
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster oil pan - results not good
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I recently purchased a 20147 Moroso pan for my dart block 632. The builder is finishing up the refresh and called me yesterday and said the rod bolts are hitting the tray. I went and looked and yes there is contact.

I called Moroso but have not heard back from them.

If you have this pan on a 632, did you have any issues? I know a few people have used this pan in my previous post.

Bob

Posts: 37 | Location: Pittsburgh, pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
That pan supports a max stroke of 4.250. Wrong pan. Possibley. 632 is 4.75 x 6.700 I use the 21049. Unless they did a mod on the tray.

Scroll down. Even with this pan you have to check the clearance. I had to modify the tray some.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/21049/10002/-1

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply! Summit site shows 4.75 stroke with steel rods. I guess it is wrong!

Posts: 37 | Location: Pittsburgh, pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
What pump are you going with. We recently had a discussion on the capacity here on the 21049. I think average was 7 quarts. If i remember correctly on mine, i had to remove the tray and elongate the tray bolt holes a tad further to get the tray a tad deeper. Use the red on the bolts if you have to pursue this.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Builder wants to use melling select pump, I will find out what part number.

So you had the mounting holes made oval to “force” the test down a little?

Thanks

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SX 66,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Melling pump 10770

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
When i did the rotational check, there were 3-4 spots where it would lightly dink. If i can remember since i have CRS. I pulled the tray out and did a minor longate of the holes with the hand held die grinder in the tray. Installed it and pushed it down and screwed it in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, Did Moroso make a updated version of this pan with a little more drop on the tray?

Now on to the Melling pump 10770. A little advice is to get a pump that has the Pickup tig welded AND with the support bracket also tig welded in place. You will sleep better. Believe me. Harmonics and pickup tubes hate each other

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Damn, pan number is 21047. I typed it wrong.

Thanks for oil pump info. I need to talk to the builder next week and will discuss a different oil pump

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Moroso’s site says the 21047 is good for 4.75” stroke with steel rods. Link hopefully doing what TD3550 recommended helps your clearance.

The real reason I’m posting is about the pump. I had a Melling pump just like that break in my dragster. I’m sure the shake at the end of the burnout after a number of runs was the culprit but I couldn’t get lucky and have it fall off at the end of a burnout under no load. Nope it broke off just past half track on a run. Felt like it “tightened up” I lifted right away, it didn’t spin any bearings but still had to cut the crank .010. Then that cut crank broke at the first throw about 150 runs later. Related? Maybe.

When I put it back together it got a billet pump Moroso 22163. Now all 3 of our engines have them. The extra couple/three hundred at the beginning is cheap insurance to prevent the misery I went through.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
22163 Is health insurance with no deductible.I have a friend that had to pay the deductible twice.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
22163 Is health insurance with no deductible.I have a friend that had to pay the deductible twice.

Ha that’s a good way to put it. Hope he put a billet pump on after the second time!

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I broke a cast pump off on a burnout from tire shake.

I felt a thud but never looked at the oil pressure.

Staged and made half a run in S/C mode.....felt it nose over and immediately clicked it off. Coasted and started it back up on the return road. That sounded and felt real bad, no oil pressure.

Crank was junk, block got align bored...no other damage...

I use a 21049 pan with the "winged pump" which is a cast iron Moroso…..

I fabricated a brace from the pump gear cover down to the #4 main cap at a windage tray stud.....Stops any vibration from breaking the pump.

Its been on there for years with no problems. Rarely if ever shake the tire using M/T's.....Once I think was it.....not enough water out there probably....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Did the 21049 pan have a windage tray? Did it clear 4.75 stroke without modification?

Thanks in advance

Bob

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SX 66:
Did the 21049 pan have a windage tray? Did it clear 4.75 stroke without modification?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Yes the 21049 has a solid tray \

I only have a 4.375 Stroke crank so I cannot say if it clears a longer stroke....

That is really only 1/8th of inch more travel at the bottom of the stroke...

A lot if it hits !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
With the 4.750/632/21049 pan. You have pre fit it and possibility do the slight mod i explained above. Now on to the oil pump. If and or when if you decide to do the Moroso billet pump. Mount the pump in place and do a rotational check for clearance between the rod throw and or the the crank throw when it's at BDC. These pumps sit a little taller (Longer). Mine came in @ 0.93 clearance at the cap/bolt end. just some pointers.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
TD3550 is the slot on the tray mounting holes for the 21047 tray or for the 21049 tray. Sorry I am confused which pan you slotted the tray on. I have not met with builder yet to redirect him on the oil pump but I will. I have the 21047 pan and tray but I can send it back and get a 21049 if it will fit better.

Sorry for the confusion on my end and thanks for the advice!

Bob

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The 21047 pan has the dividers welded to the tray and bolts in differently. It looks deeper than my 21049. The 21047 has the deeper sump to accept the Moroso billet pump This is the pan i would go to next time if i run over the rods. Where exactly is it hitting at? I like the 21047 due to it cutting down on oil windage issues.

The 21049 pan has no dividers. This is the pan i have that i lightly modded to get the tray deeper since it was hitting. I just had to work with it.I did not want to go with the expense of the 20485 pan. I had to long gate the tray holes
(Minor) to get the tray a tad deeper. You can take it to a PM if you want.

Here is a video from Scott @ Moroso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...buQ&feature=emb_logo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Don’t know how to post picture

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
In coming PM

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Front sump 5" rear sump 8" rear sump front to back 9"

Front sump 5" rear sump 8" rear sump front to back 9.75"

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post