Find
Notify
Tools

slowing RT
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
Besides larger front tires, lowering starting RPM, running high gear or adding weight - what else can be done to slow RT?

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Rear tire.pressure can help also. I used to adjust the rear tire presuure when a ran my low 11 sec(1/4 mile) Camaro . I could adjust it from 14 to 26 psi. Usually i was 18 -22 psi on an 8 inch tim and 28x9 tire

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Timing

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
If we are talking a door car, loosen and increase the front suspension travel.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
One aspirin: three hundredths

One Ibuprofen: one hundredth

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Believe me I wish the drugs would work....

I dont want to change what I do and have done for a very long time as far as reacting to the bulb. But this car is quick, too quick and I am consistently .070 red.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:

I dont want to change what I do and have done for a very long time as far as reacting to the bulb. But this car is quick, too quick and I am consistently .070 red.

I have lowered tire pressures front and rear, changed RPM and it was actually redder so those things have improved it but they're not enough. As to the front end, short of putting some lighter springs in it, I have it as loose as it can be with what I have. It's an a-arm front, loose shocks and urethane bushings with no serrations. Maybe I should drill the shocks and look at some smaller coil springs? I think what's in it are 4 cylinder stocks that are trimmed for height.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

.070 is going to be tough. I am going through this right now trying to get my car about .030-.040 slower. Tire pressure wouldn't get there, have the front end full loose, and dropping the RPM any more made the car lazy and inconsistent. So last weekend I tried one of the long throw delay buttons and that was a trip to say the least. It slowed me up alright when I was .400 in the final round Saturday night when it stuck. I give it a couple more weekends then I am back to footbraking....

Posts: 1558 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If this is TB racing off the bottom use a long travel button.

Posts: 2442 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
No, this is footbrake deal.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, this is footbrake deal.

What weight,engine,car type,etc?

Footbrake and .07 quick is going to be tough to slow down that much.

You could footbrake on a pro tree and go .430?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted September 10, 2019 04:37 PM Hide Post
One aspirin: three hundredths

One Ibuprofen: one hundredth

what about prescription blood thinners

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
car is 2100-2200, 434/750h, 2x3 ladderbar, a-arm front

Last 5 shots over two weekends have been .071 - .070 red.

That's actually a good idea. I may have to take some practice shots on pro tree mode and see what happens.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Man, I wish I had that problem. ;^)
Maybe a lower stall converter?

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
Man, I wish I had that problem. ;^)
Maybe a lower stall converter?

For what it's worth, it took me a long time to figure out that it is really simple concentration. You and that bulb are the only things that matter for that moment. I had a transmission issue once and the starter was beating on the windshield to get my attention - so there are downsides to it.

And like anything else, you have to practice, practice and practice. Practice trees and using them correctly are a real help to staying "in-tune".

I have actually wondered if the convertor is too tight. Testing it, it has been 52-53, 53-54 - I am thinking the fluid temp was different the two times I checked it.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Since you are footbraking definitely loosen the converter. My car flashes 6000 and I leave at 2600 RPM footbraking. 1.29 60 ft.

Posts: 1558 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Put me in the car, that will slow RT down!
.07 red is a lot! If you were .07 green that's more than deepstaging can change.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What are the affects or rear tire pressure? More pressure quicker reaction times?

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted Hide Post
Do you follow the tree down or do you stare at the 3rd bulb only?? To be .070+ red it almost sounds like you are watching the tree come on and watching each bulb come on yet anticipating the 3rd yellow. Your car has to be pretty quick to physically see the 3rd yellow and still be that red.
Something I do from track to track is race with a blinder. My reaction definitely slows down bc for me I have to look at the tree with one eye closed. If you are a tree follower or tree counter, I would highly suggest to train yourself to stare at the 3rd yellow only after all 4 stage bulbs are lit. I always followed tree down and struggled bad with consistency and when I finally made the change my bottom bulb RT's started to tighten up and actually win some rounds.

Posts: 70 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try closing one eye (not your dominant eye). You could easily test that out with a practice tree.

Ben Rawe 383H
1965 Chevy II Nova

Posts: 226 | Location: Alexandria, KY | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post