DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    broken flexplate
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

broken flexplate
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
SBF 440", powerglide. Doing a general check over before next race and found that the center of the flexplate is cracked and almost completely broken. Engine has no issues, never has, and it was recently apart for freshening and balancing. Y'all got any idea why it's busted like that? It "IS" a cheap "SFI" flexplate, PRW I think it was, if that makes any difference. Had a JW flexplate for a few years but ran out of cert, and I just replaced it with this one. Date is up on this one too as of July.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Chinese junk

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid Ed's forever chant is likely the case on this item. You got your monies worth.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
and it could flexed far enough to damage the trans pump

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Proof SFI cert is meaningless.

Lucky no innocent bystander got hurt.

SFI got their check in the mail from Wing Wong Ching Chong, all that matters.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
You normally get what you pay for....

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When Jimmy Galante at Race Trans installed the aluminum trans pump I installed a Meziere " non "flex billet plate.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
When Jimmy Galante at Race Trans installed the aluminum trans pump I installed a Meziere " non "flex billet plate.

Bob
A flex plate that don't flex is also known as a bad thrust.

A Mezeire flex's, just doesn't crumble like chinese made garbage.

Meziere is one piece billet steel Made in USA strong.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
ATI is probably the best real flexplate out there but I’ve had good luck with TCI. I would just buy the ATI. Good luck with whatever you pick!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I use the TCI flexplates. I'm sure they come from Pioneer.

A little note here: After getting screwed on the dates at various distributers and big box stores I only buy dated safety equipment from the manufacturer. It costs a few bucks more. But, I can get a full time on the equipment.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
As far as I'm concerned there are only 2 choices for a flexplate, Mezeire or ATI. I use a Mezeire True Billet on my 632 and the 3 year old one I just took off doesn't have a mark on it.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
TonyB6255 What starter are you using with that plate ?? Thanks

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
been using ATI flex plates for decades, none better.

Meziere flex plates have broken too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjj:
TonyB6255 What starter are you using with that plate ?? Thanks

I use 139 tooth and the Mezeire starter. I've also used the MSD starter and keep that as a spare

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed, that isn’t a Meziere flexplate in the picture. That’s a welded flexible plate

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think that’s the ATI.

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i made the mistake of buying an el-cheapo $50 flex plate straight off of the boat one time myself. first time i hit the starter all of the teeth flew off and hit me in the feet while cranking standing beside the car. i paid the money for a JW and all of teeth are still on it.

ep-out my 50 and a box of bandaids for my feet

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
ATI says their flexplate don't work with ultrabell. that narrows down my options considerably.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mavman:
ATI says their flexplate don't work with ultrabell. that narrows down my options considerably.

Get the meziere billet and don’t look back

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mavman,

If you need more room just run the 153 tooth flexplate. That's all I have run for years. Never did understand why most BBC guys run the 168. Besides the 153 spins faster. Only issue would be if you need more oil pan clearance.