New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weld Deltas
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Can someone please tell me why it is that the wheel weights hit the brake caliper on these wheels. It first happened on my first American car with Moser brakes, then again on the 2nd car with moser brakes, then on this 3rd car has Mark Williams brakes and also hit. I tried low profile weights and they still hit. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. For 4500 for a set I wouldnt think this should happen

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Disappointing to hear, especially being that I plan to buy Deltas that are now a 6-8 week delivery time. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I just put a set on my newest American with moser brakes. I am assuming you are using a 5" backspace? I did as well and in a matter of seconds moving the car outside to load it smeared the weights in a complete circle around the brand new wheel. P I S S E D me off real good I will tell ya!

I rearranged the weights until they balanced out within .50 of an ounce. Have made 30 runs with no issues. The wheel will not go on my other American with dual MW brakes unless I use a spacer which I will not do.

Very expensive wheel but looks to be the safest on the market as far as design and construction IMO. I think the 4" or 4.5 backspace may help this issue...

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
2 sets here and the only time mine hit was when the weights were stacked. With mark williams, strange, moser, and lamb brakes.

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
NO weights stacked here and they hit if they were too far towards the bolt pattern of the wheel with the Moser brakes. Had to spread the weight out toward and along the bead lock.

The Delta has a different taper to the back of the wheel in comparison to the standard weld bead lock or the spinwerks bead lock that I own.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Vince's wheels are 4" bs as will mine be.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue with my '12 undercover and MW brakes.

ED:
I was in a hurry when I wanted my deltas and found that Quarter Max had them in stock, might be worth a phone call if you don't want to wait.

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
spoke to them about 1 hour ago.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
mine are 4 inch backspace with no staking weights and they hit

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
#ballerproblems

Falling of chair laughing

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
my balancer can place the weights in numerous different positions.i just see where the caliper is and select a different position on my balancer to place them further in or out

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
this happens on a lot of brand wheels and even on newer cars like the vette,maserati etc..

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
my balancer can place the weights in numerous different positions.i just see where the caliper is and select a different position on my balancer to place them further in or out

Mike which balancer? In the market for a new one,hate to buy one and have it be outdated when I buy it.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
For those with Deltas: how much ET difference have you seen with this wheel against a traditional 16" beadlock rim? 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile.

Posts: 5 | Location: W. Harrison, IN  | Registered: March 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Funny you ask as I thought the delta with the little bubba would have been faster than the spinwerks with the big bubba...1 hundredth difference (quicker)at the 1/8 mile last weekend in Georgia. The smaller tire was the difference I think...

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You get a lighter, stronger and better looking wheel for $4600 but no ET reduction.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you, that confirms what I had been thinking. I borrowed a set of Deltas with Big Bubbas 2 years ago and made 3 passes. They ran within .01 to half track as the American Racing Beadlocks I had with Little Bubbas.

Posts: 5 | Location: W. Harrison, IN  | Registered: March 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I didn’t buy them to be faster but the one piece is bad ass...but on the weights an I have MW BRAKES you just got a small sweet spot to put the weight and then you need the low profile weights at that...but been running mine for 4 yrs at least with ZERO problems after finding right spot...It’s a lot tighter cuz of the one piece which requires more MEAT....

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post