DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Question About front shocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About front shocks
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a 67 mustang that has Calvert 90-10 shocks on the front. Car runs 6.50's in the 1/8th.
I was wanting to upgrade to some adjustable shocks on the front just looking for suggestions/opinions of what direction I should go.

Posts: 26 | Location: va | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
QA1 Stocker Star single adjustable were a very good investment for my ride over 20 years ago.
I wish they had the "R" option back then.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1620 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I saw some videos online with cars that have Santhuff shocks.The cars looked like they were working pretty good.Then I saw the price of $1500? and thought that my Competition Engineering shocks work just fine for my particular application.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Viking shocks, Contact the tech department and let them know what you a doing and they will set you up.

http://www.vi-king.com/

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 236 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2EEF-hLI0

Afco BNC shocks, under $500ea

Looks like it works pretty good Laughing very hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Santuff shocks touch down after a hard wheel stand, like dropping a bean bag on the ground. Smile

If you wanna look like you know what you're doing, put those at the top of your list.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I've had real good luck going to Viking double adjustable coil overs. I've put them on both my bracket cars and really couldn't be happier. Adjustments make sense and easily control my previous front end bouncing. Both cars run 6.20's-6.30's and do little 6"-12" wheelies so no need for a big dollar shock. My Firebird used to do 2-3 wheelies on a pass, bobbing pretty bad, The Vikings cured that.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
I've had real good luck going to Viking double adjustable coil overs. I've put them on both my bracket cars and really couldn't be happier. Adjustments make sense and easily control my previous front end bouncing. Both cars run 6.20's-6.30's and do little 6"-12" wheelies so no need for a big dollar shock. My Firebird used to do 2-3 wheelies on a pass, bobbing pretty bad, The Vikings cured that.

I think those are people who left QA1 and started their own deal. They must be big Minnesta Vikings fans.

I'm a Packer backer with a family from Sheboygan, so there's a big conflict. People seem to like em, I think the overall consensus is pretty good. I couldn't run em though.

Low technology hydraulic shock *BUT* they probably work alright for the money.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
I ran QA1 double adjustables on all four corners for several years. IMO, their valving is garbage. Never worked like they should. Just because it has knobs doesn't mean it's a good shock. Being Viking is a split off from QA1, I wouldn't waste my money on them either. Just my .02.

For some time I would have said Strange is the choice for a low cost adjustable shock but here recently I've seen my share of them that develop leaks prematurely.

So that leads me to the Afco as a good solid adjustable shock. My biggest complaint with them is the body is so large at the lower end that it won't fit in stock a-arms without modifications. It wouldn't take much for Afco to redesign a shock body that was more friendly to stock bolt-on applications.

For the money, it's hard to beat the Afco though.

My personal choice is the Santhuff. Very good quality shock, but most of all the valving is very user friendly. A 1 flat change on the adjuster can easily be seen in the performance on a good car. Once the shocks are dialed in a 1/2 flat change does the trick. But The Santhuff isn't a cheap shock and likely isn't warranted on a lower HP car unless you really don't mind spending the money or you have plans to add HP down the road.

After changing shocks many times over the years, eventually you get to a higher end shock that does the job well. That said, could have saved a bunch of time and money buying the good shock from the beginning.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What really matters is they are right for your application. Weight and speed. For front shocks I would consider calling Randy at fast shocks and see what he would consider the best setup for the money for your application. It’s usually a few hundred dollars extra in my experience to get a set of shocks built to your application instead of just off the shelf

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the OP definitely doesn't need a custom valued shocked from anyone.

That said...

quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:
I ran QA1 double adjustables on all four corners for several years. IMO, their valving is garbage. Never worked like they should. Just because it has knobs doesn't mean it's a good shock. Being Viking is a split off from QA1, I wouldn't waste my money on them either. Just my .02. For the money, it's hard to beat the Afco though.

This^^^

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
the OP definitely doesn't need a custom valued shocked from anyone.

That said...

quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:
I ran QA1 double adjustables on all four corners for several years. IMO, their valving is garbage. Never worked like they should. Just because it has knobs doesn't mean it's a good shock. Being Viking is a split off from QA1, I wouldn't waste my money on them either. Just my .02. For the money, it's hard to beat the Afco though.

This^^^

I’d go with the afco bncs Ed, but I would have them valved instead of coming straight from the box. That’s just my opinion though

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't know what YOUR car needs for front shocks but I do know the OP's car doesn't need anything more than the out of the box valving for his car and last I knew about this car, he doesn't need BNC's.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Unless you have ran a Viking I don't think its fair to condemn them based on who may have came from where. For the amount they cost I have found them to be well worth the money and performance has been there to match. They offer four standard valving packages on their base shock, something quite a few others don't.

In the Viking Crusader price point I don't think you will find a better shock, have all four corners covered with them.

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post